OEM vs. Bulk vs. Branded Flash Memory

I just bought a 4GB MicroSDHC card from buy.com The buy.com Website had a picture with the DANE-ELEC logo, and "CLASS

4" on the card (4MB/sec ?) I thought it was a good deal for $10.95 (after a $16 rebate).

The product I received only had the DANE-ELEC logo on the cardboard packaging (packaging looks different from the one displayed on the website), the micro-to-SD adapter, but not on the MicroSDHC card. On the reverse of the MicroSD card, I see ""MM8GRO4GUACY-NA" (Made in Taiwan).

Interestingly, my Kingston 1GB MicroSD card (with Kingston logo) has "MM8GRO1GUACY-NA" on the reverse (Made in Taiwan too).

Are some companies omitting their branding on flash memory cards they sell in retail packaging? Without a logo on the card, how does a manufacturer know their card from an unbranded one to service their "10-year warranty"?

Is this card inferior in any way to a DANE-ELEC branded 4GB CLASS 4 MicroSDHC card?

Reply to
taxenqs

taxenqs

It is not unusual for different memory vendors to have the memory made in "cookie factories". The products may be identical, or each vendor may have have somewhat different requirements, for example in labeling. I have a 2 Gb Kingston card like this, from buy.com. Mine came with a USB adapter. It has come in handy to be able to view my pictures on a computer that has no card reader. I connect the micro card to the USB adapter and plug it into the ocmp[uter's port. I've done the same with a flat-screen TV with a USB port.

Reply to
Marvin