How to stop Piracy?

Several days ago, I got one call from my under-classmate in Notre Dame. Now he worked as the sales director in one famous design software company. He asked me about the electronic design industry in China. He told me that everyone knows that China is a huge market but most company hesitates to enter China market due to piracy.

Everyone knows that piracy has a significant impact on the high-tech industry, resulting in lost jobs, decreased innovation and higher costs. As a Chinese who has been working in USA for more than 10 yrs, I understand his worry and I also believe Chinese government has realized this. But it seems a mission impossible to stop piracy in a country like China. But could anyone tell me what's the best way to solve the piracy problem?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Seeking for a customer centered PCB fabricator with high-quality and most cost-effective service? SynKore is your perfect option! Send email to snipped-for-privacy@synkore.com or visit

synkore

Hardware piracy, software piracy, IP, copyright, music, video???

None of these will have a simple, easy answer.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Why not use some of the tricks they do? :) Grind off the tops of your IC's with a small disk sander fitted to a Dremel or similar tool. Use the edge of the disk, on a rubber mandrel, to be sure it roughs up easily without overheating or other damage. You might find a solvent that can destroy transistor markings, too. Use at least one or two special function IC's in complex designs, if you can, or otherwise do something that makes sense in the circuit but is nonconventional. You don't have to do much, it just has to be more hassle to reverse engineer than it's worth. Even better, use PIC chips for stuff, the types that won't let you remove their code. If you have those in circuit with no markings, they will have a LOT of complex black box modelling to do.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

More on PIC chips: If you program a few useless functions that do useless harmless things on spare pins wired to appropriately harmless bits of your circuit, you might further confuse the reverse engineer. If they ever copy it successfully without realising the uselesness of those functions, and they show up in a copy, you can prove that it's a copy of your work. That might help you commercially if not legally.

Another thing is to pot stuff in a mess of epoxy goop like Torrseal. No-one is going to reverse engineer their way through that.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan