History of bulk electronic components suppliers

... We dominate the country. ...

And that is just plain wrong. Anyone who can't see that is either blind or a fool, and those who know it but won't admit it are just plain evil.

It's the quest for world domination that's taking America straight to Hell in a handbasket.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Silly. We have no colonies, not even in Europe where we had absolute military domination not long ago. We pay market prices for everything. We export aid, wealth, and jobs to places that, frankly, need them a lot worse than we do. Puerto Rico and other affiliates can vote to become fully independent if they want to. The US doesn't want to dominate the world, we want to spread wealth and democracy. What's wrong with that?

I suppose amoral is the new "moral."

John

In nay case, the USA most certainly doesn't dominate Iraq in any useful way.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

The point is that the Iraqui people should dominate Iraq, creating the novel idea of a democracy in the Middle East.

You (I assume) enjoy the benefits of representative government; why should't everyone?

John

Describing Noam Chomsky as a "scholar" is enough to make a mockery of that site. I bet you buy his books, with the money you don't spend on actually helping people.

John

America's quest for world domination? By that you must mean fast- food and the internet right?

Hell in a handbasket? Heck, the deficit's down another $50 billion, despite all the money we're dumping into Iraq. The economy's been so strong that revenues are outstripping even Congress' abilty to spend them. (Don't expect that to last...neither the boom, nor Congress' restraint.)

Certainly we do, if you consider what the murderous-types would do once unleashed. We owe the Iraqis better than that.

Remember, by and large they're not attacking Americans, they're not fighting another army representing a different political point of view, they're attacking their own civilians. That's nasty.

Best, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

They've had THREE elections, and the invaders (Bush et al) don't like the outcome, because it's always "Yankee Go Home".

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

And how precisely does America think it can change that ? They weren't doing it before you lot invaded !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

And your idea to stop the killing is to go in and do some more killing? That's either insane or evil.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

If you can call them a single people of course !

It claims to be representative. I'm not convinced any more. Hang on, I'm convinced it's not.

Fine by me. It's not a crime to suggest that some countries may not be entirely ready for it though ( I know an Indian businessman who thinks democracy in India is a farce for example ).

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

As far as I know, democracy is always a farce. But it pretty much works. Maybe that's *why* it works.

John

Of course they were, as the skeletons in the trenches demonstrate. The slaughter was just more organized, and now it's, well, more democratic.

John

India

What was it somebody said? "It's the worst form of government except for all of the others."?

Problem is, it gets out of hand, like: "Let's vote on what everybody's favorite color is!"

Another thing the Constitution tries to prevent is mob rule, but apparently the Constitution has fallen out of favor these days, more's the pity.

Sigh. Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

entirely

India

What do you think of the Swiss version with their regular referendums ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

entirely

India

Never heard of that. The Swiss are awfully quiet from here.

The UK parliamentary thing has always confused me. Calling early elections, forming a government, shadow ministries, dissolving governments, all that. What if something important happens while there is no government?

John

entirely

India

" Through referenda, citizens may challenge any law voted by federal parliament and through initiatives introduce amendments to the federal constitution, making Switzerland a direct democracy. "

Fixed terms would be better I think. No possibility of holding a snap election to suit events.

Shadow Ministers not ministries.

there

The existing incumbents deal with it. I've always though it funny that your newly elected president has to wait a couple of months to take office btw !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

entirely

in India

and

Switzerland

California works like that, too. There have been a number of popular referenda in recent years that ran contrary to what the Legislature wanted, like Prop 13 (property tax reduction) and Prop 209 (forbidding most state institutions from taking race into account.)

to suit

there

newly

It does give him a while to get organized, find some cabinet members, stuff like that. Not to mention recover from the election. Seems like a good idea to me.

And it gives the outgoing President and his wife time to steal furniture and pardon a bunch of criminals before he leaves.

John

AIUI, their results are the same as here: "We want you guys to leave, but PLEASE don't leave us NOW!"

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Those are false choices. Many times doing something is a lot better than doing nothing at all.

Take Darfur, for example.

Best wishes, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur