Help with ID on this part. Might be varistor.

I have what I think is a varistor. About a 5mm diameter disk, burnt around the upper edge. It is marked with the manufacturer(?) - CVN Mexico - on one side and the other side marked

x60 X010

This may not be a varistor, maybe a capacitor or ?. It is in series with a 15 ohm resistor feeding a relay coil marked 24VAC. The relay coil burnt out as well as the resistor and this component. Any idea what it is? Below is a layout of the circuit.

+VAC --------varistor(?)----15 ohm res.-----switch------24vac relay coil-------ground
Reply to
ogyver

I have what I think is a varistor. About a 5mm diameter disk, light brown, glossy, burnt around the upper edge. It is marked with the manufacturer(?) - CVN Mexico - on one side and the other side marked

x60 X010

This may not be a varistor, maybe a capacitor or ?. It is in series with a 15 ohm resistor feeding a relay coil marked 24VAC. The relay coil burnt out as well as the resistor and this component. Any idea what it is? Below is a layout of the circuit.

+VAC ------varistor(?)----15 ohm res.----switch------24vac relay coil------ground
Reply to
ogyver

I suspect that it's a thermistor, put in the circuit to introduce a time delay for relay drop-out. Upon switch closure, the relay pulls in (thermistor now has low resistance), current flow causes the thermistor to gradually rise in resistance until the relay is starved for current and drops out. Much like the ops of your average degausing coil in a tv. Hope this helps. Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart

If it were a MOV, it would be across the coil, not in series with it. John

Stuart wrote:

Reply to
John Hudak