HDMI, DVI standard, adaptability?

I see plenty of DVI-to-HDMI and HDIM-to-DVI adapters to be purchased.

Are these standards equally convertible without losing fidelity (manufacturing quality issues aside)? Are such adapters simply pin-configuration adapters with no circuitry?

Full-size HDMI & DVI-D (24+1) connectors.

Thanks.

Reply to
DaveC

They are. HDMI is just a further development of DVI, using different connectors and adding new features, but the digital frame format is the same. A DVI signal can be displayed on a HDMI device without problem, but the reverse is not necessarily true. Note that a HDMI signal usually includes audio, and a DVI device cannot handle it. So, when you have audio, you need a device to separate it out of the HDMI (such a simple adapter won't do that) or use an alternate audio output connector on the device (e.g. cinch).

Reply to
Rob

And the cable is not the same !

Reply to
Look165

Where does DP and USB-C fit in? I see laptops with only USB-C video ports.

Reply to
krw