from whence electrical-conduit locknuts?

who invented these nuisances (requires a special tool) - and was there an underlying good reason to NOT use ordinary hardware?

Reply to
dances_with_barkadas

Space - or lack of it in some applications.

They don't require a special tool, though.

--
*Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you? *

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What do electricians use?

What would they use if the inspector was watching?

Hal Murray

In article , Lostgallifreyan scribeth thus

You were very lucky you didn't get a belt from it as well ..I had one many years ago when I couldn't let go, and it was fortunate that someone was nearby who did notice and realise what was going on..

I still remember every microsecond of it, the pain was excruciating I couldn't move anything just this loud humming and my body violently shaking:((

--
Tony Sayer
Reply to

Jeez, you guys! When I said "I survived", I meant "nothing happened", as in "I got away with it totally dude, no sparks or nothin'" Your stories make me nervous all over again. Maybe that's why most of my electrical career involves 5, 12, maybe 24 volts most of the time. I have cheap screwdrivers.....

Reply to
websurf1

tony sayer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bancom.co.uk:

Nope, I got that right, really. Onehanded grasp of a double-insulated cable sheath while standing on a dry wooden chair. No chance of electrical contact there. 10000V could not have jumped to me. I always stand such that if I became unstable on my feet I'd fall away from the circuit too. Only thing I got wrong was not realising that the previous accident caused by the people who called me in had managed to entirely short two large concealed and normally isolated lumps of brass.

The original current would not have been enough to do what they did, I thought, but I've had time enough to work out how, since. Their small short circuit melted a path, probably carbonised the insulator, the plasma formed the high current path that allowed the rest of the melt to fuse the blocks, and the cables feeding them were blasted free, breaking the original circuit. I made the mistake of thinking that they'd been blasted free of a loose connection, not actually sheared through by a greater event than the one I thought had happened. The 100A fuse had not blown, which is why I assumed the maximum surrent could not have fused those terminal blocks. I never figured out exactly why that was. My guess is the plasma burn was slow and hot, not fast, but I wasn't there when it happened so I don't know. No-one there could tell me anything coherent.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote in news:63aafab5-0300-423e-a217- snipped-for-privacy@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

Take a big capacitor and the cheapest screwdriver, and a 12V or 24V supply to charge up that cap. Then put the screwdriver across it. Best put on welders goggles first though. You could nicely simulate what happened to me even without the 240V line. >:)

Look carefully at a circuit to see what energy is stored, if any. For example, a TV tube PSU will just hurt you a bit, even if does put out a few tens of thousands of volts, what makes it truly deadly is the storage capacity of the CRT. If anyone thinks of electrical danger as if it's only a measure of volts, they need to learn about the storage of electrical energy, and the effects of accidental sudden release of it. Playing with small capacitors is a good way to learn without too great a risk. No amount of book learning will replace the teaching of a few small-scale dangers tested deliberately.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Yup. Most of my stuff involves small caps on circuit boards. I know well the nasty properties of large caps.

I've even been known to have fun putting a .1 ohm 1 watt resistor across a 24 volt battery in a factory production area. I didn't get in trouble, because there was no evidence (left)!

Reply to
websurf1