ELECTRONIC RELAY INFO NEEDED!!!!

I've purchased a phone system that's capable of releasing typical magnetic locks remotely from any extension phone. An accessory called "external feature module" is responsible for deacivating a mag lock via a terminal block controlled by any phone. The circut is normally closed, when opened the power to the mag lock's rendered deactivated. My mag lock has to be deactivated by closing two leads. For some reason the manufacturer doesn't want the lock to be unpowered in order to gain egress. Here's my question. The telephone manufacturer tells me I need a "normally open" relay that serves a nomally open circut for my type of mag lock. If I select a 12 VDC (INPUT VOLTAGE) SPDT (CONTACT TYPE)

10 AMPS (LOAD RATING @240 VAC), (POWER COMSUMPTION) 115 mA, 5 PIN RELAY

- spade terminal relay. OR DO I NEED AN ENCLOSED POWER RELAY DPST-NO 25 AMPS 12 VDC 158 mA (STANDARD WITH DC INPUT VOLTAGE) CAN YOU PEOPLE HELP ME MAKE THIS FLY?

Reply to
Vittorio

Sounds like either of those relays will work. Both are 12V and about the same current for the coil and both have contacts rated for 115V (i assume because you didn't include it for the second one)at least which is what the lock uses.

The first one is SPDT So you get one switch with one NO and one NC contact on it. You use the NO side for your application. The second switch DPST is two switches both having only NO contacts only. You can use either one of these switches.

A relay with DPDT contacts is like the SPDT but has two switches and is quite universal because it can be wired many ways. Enclosed relay sounds like a good idea for safety but may not be necessary if they are all in a closed box.

The first part of your description seems to contradict the second. SInce there may be uncertainty, the SPDT switch will give you one of each NO and NC contacts in case you got it backward.

I think maybe you are saying the feature module has a NC switch contact output but the lock needs a NO switch input. The Feature module drives the realy 12V coil. When unlocking, the feature module switch opens up and this de-energizes the relay which Closes the NC contacts and activates the lock solenoid. In any case go with the SPDT so you can try it either way.

Reply to
AutoTracer

that was a very helpful reponce thankx autotracer

Reply to
Vittorio