Does every project have hard-to-get parts?

Do you guys find that every or most projects you work on have 1 or more special parts that are a *bitch* to get? I've made a few simple circuits before and I'm wondering if this is how it's always going to be if I keep making more projects. Why is it that fewer people are building electronics gadgets? There used to be a couple of nice electronic parts stores in the San Fernando Valley that are gone now. Also I remember when Radio Shack had more parts and they also had kits and electronics learning sets.

Reply to
wizzzer

I have never been able to get all of the parts in a parts list. I look upon the articles that describe the project as guidelines and do my own modifications so it works with the parts I can get. Heathkit days are over!

Al

Reply to
Al

Get used to it. Anything worth building is that way, and has been for the 40+ years that I've built and serviced electronics.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It's gotten that way over the years. You'd do better to buy kits from some of the Australian suppliers - even European kits are pretty trivial these days.

is your starting point. If you need some websites of kit sellers I can post them.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Where are you finding these projects? As I pointed out recently, I think here, newcomers often come across old schematics but don't yet have enough knowledge to realize that it's old. So they ask about where to get tunnel diodes, or that PNP germanium transistor, and the real reason they can't find those devices is because they've been pretty extinct for decades. Even ICs usually have a finite life span, and what was plentiful in 1975 may not be the case any longer.

On the other hand, older projects have the advantage that they tend to use fairly generic parts. That's certainly the case with projects that don't use ICs, and even after the more specialized ICs tended to come later.

I remember the first project I tried to build, back in April of 1971 when I was 11. I knew nothing, but like so many I copied the parts list from the magazine and went to the electronic store. They made some substitutes, which I didn't have the knowledge to evaluate, and I had no choice but to buy all those parts new and spend the money.

This was better summed up a few years later when someone at school said "I don't want to make a mistake" when I lamented that he'd spent Big Bucks on an HEP replacement line op-amp when he could have used a common 741; he wanted to follow the parts list perfectly because he had no leeway if things didn't work.

But ultimately that is an important thing. The more you understand, the more you can comprehend what's going on in the project. Then you can determine which parts must remain identical, and which parts can be replaced with cheaper alternatives. Or, use the project as a framework for a concept, and then build something similar.

ONe of the best things I learned early on was about making do with available parts. Ironically, the first thing I got to work (as opposed to the two or three first projects that I bought all new parts for) was something made with an audio transformer I took out of a radio, and some transistors I took off some surplus computer boards (computer as in mainframe, since it was

1972) and I guess the resistors and capacitors came out of the radio. By that time, I'd soaked up that it was possible, and had gotten a handle on enough to realize I could use just about any small signal transistor for the application.

ANd of course, the longer you build things, the more "spare" parts you have. THere will always be parts you need, but the basics, or reasonable replacements, will always be at hand, because you've stripped down all those VCRs you find in the garbage. (Ironically, I find it easier to find basic parts in that form, since 35 years ago all you'd find in the garbage was pretty much tube tv sets, with the components coated in that fuzz, but nowadays there is so much electronic equipment that lots of it is available as garbage or real cheap at garage sales.) If I needed any more common variable capacitors, I'd still be pulling them out of radios, which are a lot more common and local than ordering by mail.

Yes, esoteric projects (relative speaking) like 900MHz power amplifier will require out of the ordinary parts.

ANd of course, the design of the project will impact on getting parts. Some are made to use common parts, but like those old HEP replacement parts, they may end up being "hard to get" simply because the original builder has chosen from a single source or from a place that everyone is supposed to have access to (such as Radio Shack) but the proprietary parts numbers make them less findable elsewhere). If someone decides to use a microcontroller, either for the sake of doing so or because they think it makes it easier for the builder, it ends up becoming a problem since there is no replacement unless one just starts from scratch.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Many 'legacy' projects say from the 70s use parts that are now obsolete.

Substitution is often the way to go.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

"Eeyore" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVETHIS.hotmail.com...

Like many I'm sure - I can't tell you how many projects were scrapped due to parts unavailable. Some otherwise "nice" projects too! And that is a shame, I LOVE to homebrew.

L.

Reply to
L.