Check my capacitor calculation

I need to make a plate capacitor of 7nF 50KV. I will use aluminum foil and 1.5mm thick polycarbonite insulator. The area I came up with is 3.5 sqaure meters. Is that right?

Reply to
sinebar

Check out the link below for the epsilon value

Formula for capacitance:

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

I am certain it is not.

7nf is close to what you have with two pieces of wire twisted together for about 5 inches.

John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
John Ferrell

I think you are talking about picofarads with the twisted wire

7 Nanofarad is 7000 picofarad.
Reply to
Sjouke Burry

sinebar Inscribed thus:

Do you mean 7 nanofarad or 7000 picofarad ?

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

That must be some mighty thin insulation on that wire.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yes I mean 7 nanofarad.

Reply to
sinebar

A = C * d / (k * e0) = 7E-9 * 1.5E-3/(2.9 * 8.854E-12)

= ??

.. maybe you put k in the numerator?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

My error! You are correct... John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
John Ferrell