Bluetooth serial adapters.

Slightly off-topic, but it's a question people here might know better than anyone on the planet.

I'm after a Class 1, bluetooth v2 (must also do v1.2) adapter for serial ports (DB9). Needs SPP profile, no other profiles required, but they might be useful. Baud rates from 1200 to as high as possible, and must include

57600).

It must be powered entirely from a standard PC computer's port, with no unusual wiring or external supply. Having trawled Google many times looking for something to bypass all the software nonsense trying to get something that will install W98 drivers, I decided it must NOT have a need for any drivers at all. I thought I'd found a good answer, then found that the config program MUST have .net framework! Pretty stupid for a device someone might want to run from OpenBSD, or DOS, no? :)

Has anyone got a nice definitive sort of answer for this? I'm prepared to spend up to $100 (£50, and cheaper would be cool...) for a device that can allow me to operate exactly as if I'd just plugged a cable to a DB9, with no strange wiring or power requirements, no driver requirements, and ALL config, if any is needed, easily done by communicating with it by text commands written in a terminal emulator.

Please don't point me to links and general possibilities, I can easily find too many of those on Google to choose easily, and still find nasty gotchas like .net requirements that are not openly declared. I'm asking here hoping for answers from people who use these things, and already know firsthand what works best and most easily, and is completely independent from the host operating system.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

You will not find one powered only by the serial port. Bluetooth needs more power than can be sucked from RS232.

However for all the other aspects, how about this :

?sku=CS14739&_requestid=183040

(if you add '01' after the order code it will be cheaper - currently on special offer)

power is via a mini-usb socket, so can be powered from a spare USB socket or AC adapter

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Mike Harrison wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I found one other but can't remember what it was. Someone had tested it and was stating that they found it to be true though. That BlueConsole device is Class 1, so lower power Class 2 devices should cope, too.

I like that it has a switch to change from DCE to DTE saving need for a null modem adapter. They don't say whether there is a configuration needed by software though. The one that did (and required .net) was also billed as not requiring software. That's why I want advice from people who have used these. I can't go by seller's declarations alone. They're too expensive to take reckless chances on.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

I suppose you might get away with it for a true (desktop) type RS232, depending on data duty cycle. but I doubt it would work on any charge-pump type driver (e.g. laptops)

I can email you the instruction sheet for this unit if you want.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Mike Harrison wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'd be using them on PC's with 12V signalling, so I think they'd be ok. Doesn't matter if if it must use external power, it's more important that no software is needed. No drivers, and no config programs other than what a serial terminal emulator can do. (I'd prefer that to fiddly fragile DIP switches too, especially as the adapter is supposed to be useful when out of physical reach).

Yes pleas, that will help. I have a gmail address in the same name I use here.

Has no-one else here used these? I'm surprised I haven't heard at least one comment from someone who built one. :)

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan