555 Calculator

Those of us who need a tight 50%... run oscillator at 2X frequency, then div2.

...Jim Thompson

What about a resistor from output to the cap? You may want to use a CMOS

555 for this.

Saves a resistor in any case.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

put a 100 ohm resitor in series with the hot side of the pot. othewise with it wound all the way down it'll be trying to discharge the powersupply.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

Crap repeatability.

Reply to
budgie

Thanks for knocking yourself out on that :) I used Jason Betts suggestion; subbed R1 with a 100 ohm trimmer and used a 22NF. Works good; apx 46K on the trimmer gives 1ms width and pertneer

50 DC. Pulls some current through R1, but seems to be tolerable. >
JR North

JR North

What is your Vcc and what is your load? The half-way point coincides with Vcc/2 across the timing capacitor where the THRESH comparator is just entering complete cutoff and the TRIG comparator is on the edge of linear for low Vcc. If Vcc is small enough, this may reduce the pulldown drive ever so slightly to cause a higher Vce,sat on the output.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

--
You used it once and made a decision on repeatability???
Reply to

--- It may work for you, but it's not "poifect" if you're looking for a

50% duty cycle unless the output swings from rail-to-rail when it's loaded.

-- John Fields Professional Circuit Designer

Reply to
John Fields

JR North

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

doesn't 50% duty cycle imply that the output be on the same time frame as it is off ? i don't see where the rail-to-rail comes into this? since the trigger and threshold are at 33% and 66% of Vcc i don't see where the in ability to effect 50% duty is coming from ?

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Fsck you are a priceless piece. I used the CIRCUIT once.

Reply to
budgie

If the 1kHz is *critical*, what is the tolerance? If it is within +/-5% I wouldn't even be considering a 555.

Reply to
budgie

--
         Vcc

        B  Q1

          +--[R]--+
          |       |
          C      [C]
        B  Q2     |
          E      GND

         GND

When Q1 switches on, C will charge to 2/3Vcc through R with a source
voltage of Vcc - Vce, but when Q2 turns on it'll discharge to 1/3
Vcc through Q2's Vce(sat), so since Vce(sat) is less than Q1's Vcc -
Vce, it'll take the cap less time to discharge to 1/3 Vcc than it
will to charge to 2/3 Vcc.
Reply to
John Fields

Well, a lot of capstan motor servos on Studer pro audio tape decks used 555s for decades. They worked extermely well. I suppose the designer just new how to use them properly

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Without knowing the configuration it's a bit diffcult to comment. For all I know there is tachofeedback, in which event the repeatability factor is largely removed.

Reply to
budgie

I=V/R if the output gets closer to the rail one way than it does the other

diifferent charge/discharge currents will result.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

What youse guys failed to note in your circuit recommendations is that output freq varies with VCC. Since this application is a 12V marine elect. sys, variation in system voltage causes changes in motor RPM. Perhaps useful for something, but not for me. Modified the circuit with a 8V reg, since a 5V reg drops the output below TTL and the stepper board doesn't like it. BTW: this driver runs a stepper to rotate a radar antenna. Thus the RPM req. Variation in antenna RPM causes the display to lose sync. Back on track now.

JR North wrote:

JR North

I must admit I havent look at the typical Studer circuit in long long. But I was always astounded how good this little chip worked in the servo

martin

Reply to
martin griffith