Help Wanted: 1 Layer Board in Expedition PCB

Program: Mentor Graphics Expedition PCB 2005

I tried to generate a template for a 1 layer board (Bottom) with jumper wires on the top side. However, I failed to do the setups for it because there seems to be no way to make drill holes with bottom pads (not vias) being accepted as vias with only one layer active.

With a standard via there is no way to make a 1 layer template by deleting the second layer in the 2 layer template. The strict setup controls forbid that because vias at least have 2 layers.

Maybe one of the experts in this world has a clue. It would make me happy to share his knowledge.

Regards GerhartH

Reply to
Gerhart H.

I cannot help you directly with Mentor but when I used Cadstar, I simply used a

2 layer template. The "jumpers" were tracks on the top of the board. When creating the Gerber files I only processed the solder side. The top side track could be used with the silk screen to show where the jumpers are fitted.

Geo

Reply to
Geo

I was thinking that there'd be a drawback with that approach in that you couldn't cross traces (which -- given enough jumpers -- might eventually be very difficult to avoid), but presumably you just turn that off in your DRC rules and it works fine?

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Geo

Reply to
Geo

Not quite - on the rare occassion where the assembly people would allow two links to cross (one would need insulation - at a cost) I just used the facility to have an "unfinished" route at that point.

Geo

Reply to
Geo

Ah, gotcha. I was thinking more prototype boards where the jumper links are just fine-gauge insulated wire, not "proper" links like you're using.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad