Garage Door Opener Range.

That was certainly true of previous generations of remote control receivers. I fixed a few of those (mostly by retuning). Most of the few garage door and gate opener repairs I've done have been mechanical, not electronic.

Times have changes. For keyless entry receivers, I'm seeing SAW filters, superhets, one-chip receivers, etc. For example: etc...

Whether Genie uses technology that's become standard for automobile door openers and alarms is unknown. Schematics seem difficult to find. Most of the receiver pictures of the boards I've found are obviously TRF (tuned RF) receivers, which will have the detuning problems you mentioned. The more modern opener that Jim bought seems to have a more sophisticated receiver: The black wire on the left is the antenna. Most of the receiver is covered but I can see the leads of an SOT device nearby and no adjustable coils near the antenna lead. That suggests a more modern design, probably using one of the aforementioned integrated receivers, which will not have antenna detuning issues.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

The problem is further reduced. Finally got the programming to take on the HomeLink transmitter in my Q45 (using the programming technique Jeff found)... the range is substantially increased.

So, either batteries in Genie fobs are weak, or transmitter design is weenie. (Q45 is 9 years old... who knows what emasculation has been done to transmitters by the FCC since then.) ...Jim Thompson

That's awesome, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the problem at hand, and that is Jim's SPECIFIC unit. Which is most likely NOT some regenerative design.

Reply to
WangoTango

Reply to
loishulsey23