D.J. Delorie to work on the gEDA open soirce CAD program PCB

Chip vendors do the same thing. If volume gets high enough they often switch to a new version of the silicon that is less expensive to manufactur but still meets the same specs.

I gather that vendors have procedures so major customers get notified and/or get a chance to test the new version without getting surprised in case there is some obscure not-documented feature that they are depending upon which is different in the new version.

--
These are my opinions, not necessarily my employer\'s.  I hate spam.
Reply to

There are several 45G models.

They all operate the best with WRT loaded onto them.

Yep...

Archimedes' Lever

In the era of the 6502-based microcomputers (Acorn, Commodore), use of the undocumented (i.e. undefined) opcodes was so common that some assemblers included mnemonics for them. If you swap the CPU for a 65C02 (where the undefined opcodes are all NOPs), a lot of software (esp. games) won't run.

Reply to
Nobody

I just checked the Linksys website and there are currently 11 variations of the WRT54G for sale.

WRT54G

WRT54G2

WRT54G3G-AT

WRT54G3G-ST

WRT54G3G-VN

WRT54GC

WRT54GL

WRT54GR

WRT54GS

WRT54GX2 WRT54GP2A-AT

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Those models have significant differences.

There are many variations of the basic WRT54G with no or not much external differences. Lots of fine print here:

These are my opinions, not necessarily my employer\'s.  I hate spam.
Reply to
Hal Murray

the

I was aware of most of those variations. my WRT54G appears to be version 5 with Firmware Version: v1.00.1

My point was that they are turning it into a family of products, to capitalize on the popularity of the original. I know different versions of the original have been released.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

WRT54G

the

The best ones to buy are the V2 jobs on ebay that have been upgraded to the WRT firmware. Then, you have a pro-level router at consumer-level prices.

The v2 has the fastest CPU and the most memory in it. It allows you to put better antennas on it, and bump up the power of your WAN to pro router power levels.

Or, you could just buy the right unit, and upgrade the firmware yourself. The WRT stuff is the best out there.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever