why solar power is over-rated

I had a fascinating discussion with a NASA engineer.
He said that one problem with a Mars mission is that
dust would make solar panels useless in as little as
3 months!
They would like  radioisotope thermoelectric generators
instead but they are politically incorrect now.

Re: why solar power is over-rated

So would I. I had to get up on the roof and hose and brush down my solar
panels last week. At least on Mars they don't get bird shit building up
on them.

Re: why solar power is over-rated

** IIRC, the "Mars Rover" ran for much longer than that.

** Yeah  - those damn Martians are so PC.

....   Phil

Re: why solar power is over-rated
On Thu,  5 Feb 2015 06:30:21 -0500 (EST), Jack Ryan

Amateur troll.

You might like to explain how I can run a rural property on nothing
more than solar panels (even though I have a couple of hydro
generators providing power as well). I run about 2400W 24/7 just with
water pumps alone during spring and summer. Yes, solar power is so
over rated.

Re: why solar power is over-rated

 And risk was the reason they abandoned the idea of launching nuclear
waste into the sun. too many launches end up as ball of fire spreading
goodness knows what.

Re: why solar power is over-rated

In the "believe it or not" category:

Between 1970 and 1988 hundreds of patients were implanted with heart
pacemakers powered by Plutonium "batteries". Some recipients lived with
those for over 20 years.

Re: why solar power is over-rated

Is that like being in a tank with a gold fish Vs being in a tank with a
great white shark?

Face it, if you need a pacemaker, you're pretty fscked anyway and
miniscule radiation exposure isn't going matter any way. They just don't
want the devices to be cremated with the body.

Re: why solar power is over-rated

Some people need pacemakers because of a specific defect in their
hearts, and with a pacemaker can expect to have a normal lifespan.

Sylvia.

Re: why solar power is over-rated

Yep,  and hopefully no one here has that. but I think the numbers are
closer to what I said.(There is always an annoying exception.)

Re: why solar power is over-rated
Mum died at 93 and had a pacemaker, was replaced 2 or 3 times as the
batteries go flat eventually.

Site Timeline