Where to get a Screen Panel for Kogan LED TV

Hi, I need to replace a cracked 50" LCD screen panel Chimei V500HK1-XLS5 like this one:

The Kogan nominated repair shop here in Perth does not supply parts.

Has anyone an idea where in Australia to get a replacement screen panel?

Thanks

Tony

Reply to
Tony

probably cost a fortune Get a whole tv in aldi

Reply to
F Murtz

My fear too. No Aldi in Perth yet though. Also, a 50" HD 3D TV is still worth about $700. I am prepared to use the unit as a large ceiling light... What bugs me is the systemic waste of resources in our "modern" society.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Send an enquiry to the vendor on Alibaba - most of them have "sample/consumer" accounts on AliExpress and can sell you single units.

I've procured laptop screens in the past for around $150 each, so I wouldn't hold my breath about the price of your panel being economical in comparison to the cost of a new TV.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Cheaper to buy a new TV?

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

Does it still work? if so live with the crack.

Reply to
F Murtz

Whoops LED, they are probably not like tablets, phones and the like that keep working

Reply to
F Murtz

It's a rather big crack :) No way to ignore it.

Reply to
Tony

Yes, if it has to be shipped from overseas it will be probably not economical. But I'll give it a shot on Alibaba anyway. Thanks.

Reply to
Tony

Is it the panel itself that is cracked or the screen in front of the actual panel?

If the panel is a recent model I would have thought that Kogan would be obligated to be able to supply replacement panels either direct or through their dealers even out of warranty.

Rod will likely know if that is the case.

Reply to
Clocky

The panel is one piece. It looks like it has a glass back and a plastic front with the LCD layer in between. The edges are glued, so it's one sheet. It just resting on top on the back light diffuser. Quite a neat design actually. Easy to replace with

2 flat cable connectors. In fact the whole unit is a neat and clean design (for someone who had to deal with what used to be called a TV, when I was, ahem, younger. I still remember the smell of the hot dust on tubes and resistors)

The glass back got broken, the plastic front not. The unit was given to me, so I am not sure how old it is, but it is 3D capable and full HD.(KALED503DSA)

I asked Kogan about a spare parts source 3 days ago and have no reply yet. I don't think it would be covered by warranty in any case. Some one smashed the screen, hardly Kogan's fault. But I am aware that Kogan has an obligation to supply spares one way or the other. But they always have the choice of just pricing them out of the market. In case of an insurance claim you would just get a new TV.

If the panel would cost no more than $300 I'd be happy to repair the TV. Otherwise it could be a great ceiling light for my workshop (100W) :)

Tony

Reply to
Tony

I Replaced my monitor screens and tv screens before.... that said Im only a n Air Conditioning Mechanic. But Most TV and Monitor LED Flat screens usual ly have different variations this can be on the same TV of the same make an d model just because the manufacturer probably had issues with re calls so they may change the screen for one slightly different [ for example one may have 32 pin ribbon connector the other may not...... I advise you to take the rear cover off and locate the part number of the s creen itself.... then google that part number..... this will save u the hea d ache of getting the right size , right make ,right model but the connecto rs dont match..... take it from me i learnt the hard way

Reply to
marty bell

It's been over 6 years since Tony posted that. I reckon he's either got it sorted or doesn't care too much by now.

--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville