Strange earthing goings on

Was just in the shower,feet on the wet tiles water all over me and I got a tiny tingle through a cut in my finger on the tap handle. So I plodded through house and got an analogue multimeter, back to the shower, set meter on 10 volts ac, shoved one probe into wet leg and other on tap handle,2 volts deflection, strange. After shower I tested between metal floor waste and tap 5 volts.(floor wastes are not connected metallically to anything but are wet) Tried between water pipes at heater, nothing,the earth is bonded to main water copper pipe there is an earth connected to a stake, have not measured stake resistance but weather has been wet lately so should be all right. Might be some nylon olives some where (not at heater anyway (copper olives)) The off peak power was on to the heater at the time. Might do some Sherlocking tomorrow or sometime.

Reply to
F Murtz

tiny tingle through a cut in my finger on the tap

set meter on 10 volts ac, shoved one probe into wet

are not connected metallically to anything but are

copper pipe there is an earth connected to a stake,

be all right.

I had something similar happen several years ago, although the cause is unlikely to be the same as your situation unless you have old house wiring. I got a tingle in the shower from touching the taps, it was fairly strong (I was wet) so I got out and checked it with the MM. It measured around a hundred volts AC, but only a few mA on AC current. The cause was discovered after we called in a sparkie - the shower had a lead sheet tray underneath it which folded up at the sides to contain the shower drainage. One side of the sheet went up the wall cavity and there was a GPO in the next room on the other side of the wall which had rubber-sheathed wiring. The edge of the lead sheet had started to cut into the old rubber insulation - which was old and very brittle. Murphy's law meant the first wire to be affected was the active, of course. There was enough resistance to limit the current, another mm or two and it could have been fatal.

Reply to
Yaputya

tiny tingle through a cut in my finger on the tap

shower, set meter on 10 volts ac, shoved one probe into wet

are not connected metallically to anything but are

water copper pipe there is an earth connected to a stake,

be all right.

unlikely

was wet)

AC, but

sheet

room on

lead sheet had

brittle. Murphy's

enough

fatal.

In my case the shower tiles are on a concrete floor, the whole house is on a concrete slab.

Reply to
F Murtz

Sounds like a neutral reversal do you have a gpo tester ?

--

Reply to
atec77

viwinnwfe02.internal.bigpond.com...

t a tiny tingle through a cut in my finger on the tap

shower, set meter on 10 volts ac, shoved one probe into wet

wastes are not connected metallically to anything but are

n water copper pipe there is an earth connected to a stake,

hould be all right.

ves))

nlikely

(I was wet)

ts AC, but

lead sheet

inage.

next room on

the lead sheet had

ittle. Murphy's

was enough

fatal.

Used to have that problem in a place where I worked in the 1970's. it was a stainless sink with the tap attached to it, and copper piping for the water. Would always get a nasty tingle off of it at certain times of the day. If you had a cut, or tried to drink from the tap you knew about it. Connecting sink and pipe to a mains ground fixed the problem. Never found out the cause, but the same setup is still there AFAIK.

Reply to
kreed

One thing that can cause this is a broken neutral so ground ends up being the return path. Here's a bit of a description:

You need to watch it because a slight tingle can turn fatal quickly depending on the impedance, which of course things like moisture and physical impacts can affect.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

In my case the taps seem to be at earth potential. it seems that there is a potential difference between the copper pipes and the shower floor on the concrete floor slab.

Reply to
F Murtz