ring tones...... sneaky bastards

I have made a mistake of clicking on a homepage that was on one of the news groups. It took me to a free ring tone page. I put my mobile number in there to see what would happen. Faaarrrrkkk.... 4 sms messages cost me $18. Each one has a homepage for wap to download ring tone. I don't have wap. I didn't know what the fffaaarrrkkk it was. I do now. Anyway... if anyone is caught out... It most likely came from

. There phone number for cancelling it is 1300884538. Local phone call. Might be very hard to actually talk to someone on the phone though. I also sent them a request via there email. snipped-for-privacy@stealthnet.com.au I hope they are understanding. Just letting you know just in case you make the same mistake.

Reply to
yeah man

How can an SMS cost $4.50? I thought they were about $0.20?

Mike Harding

Reply to
Mike Harding

This is half the problem with these types of "providers". What a neat money making idea. Set up a server in your back room, spend a bit on TV or Net advertising and get fools to pay $4 or more a week to receive stooooopid ringtones and wallpapers for their mobile phones. Later the consumer decides it's all too silly and wants to cancel. Huh! Now try stopping the automatic downloads. Almost impossible unless you keep the phone switched off 24/7. And the bills keep coming in......

Moral of the story. Get one of your gullible mates to subscribe to these junk services before you waste your money.

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

This is what I got back. I hope they got the message this time.

Please be advised that your mobile number has been removed from our ringtone subscription service on 191188. No further content will de delivered to your handset.

Kind Regards, Stealthnet Support

Reply to
yeah man

Especially that stupid frog pretending to ride a bike

Reply to
Kate Fights, I Cry

Correct , but you are charged for the service they provide , in this a new ring tone on your phone .

Reply to
uHU

the news

in there

$18. Each

I didn't

caught

phone number

hard to

request via

you make

They're premium SMS numbers. In this case it was probably also "receiver pays" which means that they initiate the SMS and you're billed for receiving it. That's how they run a subscription service, they regularly send you content which is a charged premium SMS.

To the OP, I'd take it up with your mobile phone carrier. Premium SMS charges are apparently fairly easy for consumers to get reversed, because of the sneaky way that many operators work.

Reply to
rowan194

Such as??

Reply to
Kate Fights, I Cry

service,

SMS

I guess you're asking what's sneaky? Read the original post. :)

Most of the TV ads have the pricing and conditions in tiny font, sometimes displayed for only a few seconds. Not much different to the TV ads for 0055 numbers several years ago - if you were too busy looking at the busty girl wringing out a car wash sponge you would have missed it!

Back to premium SMS, if the carrier and/or content providers routinely refused to refund a "I didn't know I was going to be charged for this/this much/every week" request then there would likely be some issues with consumers taking their own action.

Reply to
rowan194