Re: Service?

I had occasion to visit the new Coffs Harbour Jaycar store, it is a nice

> shop well stocked and laid out probably comparable to the Gore Hill > store. All I wanted was a 9 pin "D" connector and a MAX232. The > connector was no problem, I just rocked up to the bin, but all the > semiconductors were in bins behind the counter. A polite middle aged > male "Assistant" came up and asked if he could help me. "Yes, I'd like a > MAX232 please" I said. I knew straight away that this was a problem from > the blank look in his eyes, "A MAX232?" he said, "Yes" I replied, "A > MAX232 integrated circuit please". By this time the other 3 middle aged > well dressed "Assistants" had backed way to the other end of the counter > and were trying to look busy. My "Assistant" started leafing through the > catalog without much success, so I grabbed another copy, and, even > without my reading glasses, found the item in about 30 seconds and > showed it to him. "Oh you want a ZK8824" he said as if I should have > asked for that in the first place "And whats this other thing you have > here?"

the thing about "ZK8824" is that it's different to "ZK8822" and both parts are MAX232 chips.

AFAICT Everywhere uses in-house numbers to identify parts.

Jasen Betts

the ZK8822 is surface mount

True, but I do expect the shop workers to at least know the common stuff like that chip.

Reply to
keithr