Re: OT: Only in America

So much for Bill's lame claims on aus.electronics that he's educating people on the sci.electronics groups.

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to

ing

Some people aren't easy to educate, and both you and John Fields would seem to fall into that catagory.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

--
If, by "education", you mean hitching my wagon to your star, then I\'d
much prefer something other than a white dwarf.

of

cating

Education is getting people to think for themselves in a useful way. It isn't about hitching anybody's wagon to someone else's wagon train.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Cinders aren't white.

Reply to
krw

Slowman's "unique talents" ;-) Slowman is always good for a laugh.

It just came across the wire that Slowman's "unique talents" are going to be recognized by Japan... he's been designated as Imperial Honey Dipper Taster ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

... and rides in the back of official honey-wagon, where he belongs

Reply to
krw

Come on, Keith. Sloman is always making an 'ash' of himself.

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

for

use of

educating

For people who happen to live in areas without a proper sewage system, a "honey-wagon" is truck that goes around and collects human excreta.

The US doesn't like spending money on services that improve the health of the community as a whole, so many communities persist with this rather primitive form of sewage collection, which has long been superseded in other advanced industrialised countries.

Advanced industrial communites do still have honey waggons, but they service temporary and mobile toilets, and there are not enough of them to make the word part of the active vocabulary of the bulk of the population.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

--
Only trouble with that definition is that for people to be able to think
in a useful way requires them to follow your lead and believe the way
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

for

use of

educating

Not necessarily. There are a variety of ways=A0of thinking for yourself in a useful way. You don't seem to have mastered any of them.

I've never said that one should never use a 555 - I've merely pointed out that in almost all situations there are now better alternatives.

You were claiming that my view of "education" would involve your hitching your wagon (which I seriously doubt you have) to my "star" whatever that might be. I adjusted the analogy by substituting an equally figurative wagon train for your "star", but since I was engaged in rejecting the idea that education involves leaders and followers, I wouldn't be offering to let you hook your wagon to my wagon train even in the remote event that I came to possess a wagon train in Texas.

-- Bill sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

of

--
Perhaps, from your point of view, but then you can\'t even decipher a
simple metaphor so I\'d say you were pretty myopic.

Only in aus.electronics

Reply to
L.A.T.

e:

I'd

er for

ecause of

's educating

ould

'd

.

nk

Deciphering a simple metaphor does depend on the simple metaphor having some remote relationship with reality. Yours didn't make the cut.

er

What I actually said was that the one time that it looked like a serious contender, it didn't meet the - unusually stringent - quality requirements, but then neither did the rather better LM322. I checked it out from time to over the next few years for various other jobs, but it never turned out to be useful in the sort of work that I was doing.

The "star" may be your dream, and Disney seems to have made this a popular image for kiddy programs. Knowing that real stars are enormous masses of very hot gas a very long way away rather kills that image for educated adults.

Nor anything I'd suggest. You could do with more education than you have got - a broader appreciation of what semiconductor components other than the 555 have to offer would be a good start. You don't seem to be equipped to come to grips with more difficult subjects - Laplace transforms and elementary statistics come to mind - of the kind I've run into in my career, so that aspect of my experience isn't an area that I'd even try to inform you about.

Because is seemed bizarrely pretentious.

That was your image of education. Not mine. You keep on struggling to set up this pathetic strawman image of me as some kind of wannabe leader trying to educate you into some kind of obedient follower.

In this you are being a little over-ambitious.

Any sensible leader stuck with a follower like you would repudiate him as fast as possible out of pure self-preservation.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

BS > My "unique" talents were recognised for what they were worth. I'd BS > prefer to be working at the moment, but there are enough good BS > electronic engineers around that society isn't going to founder for BS > want of my contribution.

JF > Actually, I think society is probably less likely to JF > founder because of the lack of your "contribution". ;)

MAT > So much for Bill's lame claims on aus.electronics that MAT > he's educating people on the sci.electronics groups.

BS > Some people aren't easy to educate, and both you and BS > John Fields would seem to fall into that catagory.

JF > If, by "education", you mean hitching my wagon to your star, JF > then I'd much prefer something other than a white dwarf.

BS > Education is getting people to think for themselves in a useful way.

Useful to WHO? Some idealistic political crusade? You?

Your idea of "educating people" ranks right up there with Pol Pot and the sarcasm of "Arbeit macht frei" !

BS > It isn't about hitching anybody's wagon to someone else's wagon train.

So much so you preach your kookery to people in OTHER COUNTRIES!

Reply to
Greegor

Your unusual quoting style threw my troll/feeder killer for a momentary loop, then I realized an easy solution... Bye ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Sloman, septic tanks are commonly used for homes that are some distance outside of metro or city services.

Are you pretending that every home between Nijmegen and Amsterdam is plumbed into a city sewer system?

Even in Australia there must be rural homes outside of the range of city sewer systems.

What kind of high tech civilized poop chute do they use in rural parts of Netherlands or Australia?

Don't they use septic tanks?

Reply to
Greegor

for

because of

educating

--
Your inability to grok the relationship is no more my fault than is your
incessant prattle about that you\'d like to be working but that no one
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

e:

rote:

th. I'd

ood

under for

r because of

he's educating

s would

n I'd

y.

ain.

think

ay

lf

I can't find any potential customers.

My situation may not be ideal, but it's much too comforatable for me to need sympathy.

never

rt

Hans Camenzind, in his book "Designing Analog Chips" points out a couple of ways in which the 555 could have been improved. The real problem with the part is that it combines a monostable/bistable that is decidedly sensitive to voltage noise with a power switch, which injects tolerably large and rapidly changing currents into the Vee connection that it shares with the monostable/bistable circuitry. There are application where this isn't a real problem, but many fewer (as a proportion of all applications) than there were in 1971. You don't have to hate the circuit to be aware of this, though one does need to know a little bit more about circuit design than you seem to do.

Not Barrie Gilbert and Bob Widlar, and Hans Camenzind's book is admirably clear and easy to follow.

He's no Barrie Gilbert or Bob Widlar. A journeyman rather than a master of his craft. This isn't scorn, merely a practical assessment. I'd recommend him to anybody who couldn't afford anything better. Those of his circuits that I worked with were not easy to use but they did work.

If I envied anybody in that area, I'd envy Barry Gilbert and Bob Widlar. I've met Barrie Gilbert and quite liked him - his interest in Cambridge Instruments was limited to workig out whether we were potential customers for the RF processing chips he was developing at the time, which we weren't, but he was civil enough to conceal his dissappointment.

I don't seem to do jealousy.

Multiple meanings and wisdom in Disney's presentations? Who do you think you are kidding?

"Hatred"? I dislike pretentious nonsense and satirise it when I can. It's a hobby, like doing cross word puzzles. Hatred requires emotional involvement.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Sure they use septic tanks. The house we live in now depended on septic tanks when we bought it - the previous owner had been too cheap to hook the house up to the sewer on the street outside - but the tanks weren't emptied by a honey-wagon, but by a local pig farmer who added the contents to the waste produced by his pigs.

The point is that the proportion of house that rely on septic tanks and honey wagons is so low in both Australia and the Netherlands that word "honey wagon" fall outside the regular vocabulary.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman