Re: office setup

I am interested in getting views on a proposed office network. I have taken

> some advice from a boffin but have no way of checking whether that advice > is > good or bad. I am hoping that the collective brains trust in these groups > might shed some light on the subject. Please bear in mind that I am not > far > advanced from computer illiterate. If these questions are incomprehensible > then that might be the explanation. > > We have 4 staff, each with their own stand alone computers. I am going to > acquire four new computers. Those in my office tell me that I need to > change > the current arrangement to an office network. > > The use will be e-mail, web searching and small accounting system. > > The questions I would like to answer for the new office network are > > 1. is a server as well as the 4 desk tops a good idea. ie what would a > server add? Is it just the ability to view/access others files? What are > the > relative advantages and disadvantages of adding a server eg accessibility > and cost effectiveness?

Store email, store company documents so they are available to all, center point of document storage and for sales information , records(database) etc that can be more easily backed up than four or more seperate computers.

A decent network switch with spare ports in case you need to add more pcs.

A good hardware firewall for your net connection. Software firewalls on all machines. Anti-virus on all machines. Anti-spyware on all machines.

Update all antivirus, antispyware at least once a week.

2. Is Celeron or AMD preferable vis-a-vis pentium 4.

Unless you are using it as a processing server makes really no difference what processor for office use. Cost and reliability are more important.

Probably worth your while to go with Sun , Dell , IBM or HP with a three year service contract. Any problems you just ring them,rather than having to fix it yourself.

Depends on your location , if regional go with the company that can give local support (including local computer shops).

3. Are there any issues bout these being accessible and cost effective? > > Thank you. > > Sam

I would also suggest , getting a ups (uninterruptible power supply), and tape back up drive.

Back up the pcs once a month, the server twice a week.

Reply to
Alex Gibson