Re: Aldi socket set

I see Aldi are selling their excellent socket set this week (in

> Sydney). I bought mine a few years back and it is brilliant quality. > This week's one looks slightly different, but is still made in Taiwan > (NOT China) and so should be the same quality. 59 Bucks. > > Highly recommended.

What's the story? Is it like cicadas - only around for a short time every few years?

;)

--
Shaun.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
~misfit~

I have got the same set. bought it at the end of previous batch for $28 (reduced after no one bought it)

Reply to
F Murtz

That is how a lot of the non-grocery lines work; send set lot to a store and there until sold out, which can be one days or longer. )

Reply to
news13

Thanks to those who replied. As a non-Aussie I didn't know that. :)

--
Shaun.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
~misfit~

In the UK we have mostly Aldi and Lidl, my town only has Lidl.

The tools that come up occasionally can vary wildly from pretty good to not fit for purpose.

On the whole, most tools have been OK for the price. A bicycle tool set had a completely un-tempered chain wrench - the handle just folded as soon as I put some effort into it.

Reply to
Ian Field

Looks like Germany really won the war after all!!!

Reply to
BuckyBalls

Vast amounts of looted gold and treasures that were never accounted for and the prosperity of certain German companies seems just too much of a coincidence.

One recent documentary suggests that the EU is pretty much based on the Nazi economic plan, that has just been dressed up a little for the modern age.

Reply to
Ian Field

Not Aldi and Lidl, however. They are just very efficient at what they do. Did you know Wal Mart couldn't stand the competition in Germany and took the bat and ran home?

You mean democratic instead of a dictatorship?

Reply to
BuckyBalls

Apparently some of the firms that set up sweat shops to work the concentration camp slaves to death, did rather well.

Reply to
Ian Field

** Like this one:

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The name; Krupps rings a bell - that brand name was on my last coffee perculator.

Reply to
Ian Field

Care to enlighten me on the title of said documentary? I'm curious.

--
Shaun.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
~misfit~

Best I can give you is; I think it was on the Yesterday channel on Freeview, they do all the World at war type documentaries.

Recent breaking news reveals that a deathbed confession has led the authorities to a Nazi treasure train hidden in a sealed up tunnel somewhere in Poland.

They expect to find; weapons, documents, gold and possibly art works.

Reply to
Ian Field

Great to see that you put so much effort in when researching your facts :)

Reply to
Tony

Ok, thanks.

Yeah I heard about that a few weeks ago and several 'journalists' have since rushed to Poland to interview anyone who might know anything. I didn't know 'authorites' were involved though, other than a claim being laid for a finders fee. There may have been developments since I last heard... That was that two men represented by a lawyer are waiting to hear the results of their request for a cut before anything alse is divulged. Several 'experts' seem to think it's unlikely to eventuate though.

It seems there have been development. Google gives me this;

Cheers,

--
Shaun.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
~misfit~

Nothing to do with Aldi and Lidl, however. You should be looking at the sweat shops that English and American companies source clothes from. Like Bangladesh and other countries that pay workers f*ck all. Aldi and Lidl derive most of their turnover from food items, most of which comes from within the European Union. Have you scrutinised Apple, for example???

Reply to
BuckyBalls

Nothing to do with Aldi and Lidl, but you like setting up strawmen, don't you?

Reply to
BuckyBalls

"facts"?! - what I said was never represented as anything other than an observation.

Reply to
Ian Field

I wouldn't touch apple with a barge pole.

The pricing structure is geared to the type of consumer that buys an artificially expensive product to show off that they have more money than sense.

To make matters worse, their closed architecture locks you into whatever they see fit to foist on you.

Reply to
Ian Field

I thought they'd already found it.

The news footage I saw showed overgrown railway tracks apparently disappearing into the side of a hill.

They showed pictures of inside a tunnel, but stated; "a tunnel like this one" - the same may apply to the tracks they showed.

Reply to
Ian Field