Raising money by collecting mobile telephone? How?

How can you raise money by collecting mobile telephones? According to a post in a re-useit list, some school is doing it. I'm intrigued about the economics of collectng toxic waste, particularly as the list posteris offering to drive over a fair proportion of Sydney to collect them.

Or should I just report the poster to the shadowy guys as a terrorist collecting materials for remote detonation devices? {:-).

Reply to
terryc

I guess if it "sounds green" or like "recycling" everyone will crawl all over it, Similar to the CFL "scam"

Maybe they will ride bicycles/walk all over sydney to collect them :)

Even that will still result in them ultimately eating more food to provide the human power and more "greenhouse gas" will be "emitted" in the process. You cant win

What they might want to to is extract the gold from the electronics - that might be more worthwhile with the current prices. How much you would get per phone is another matter

Reply to
kreed

A little OT, this link has WEEE scrap prices in Europe, some to component level, interesting for a look.

our kids school collected some mobiles for kindy/preschool play props. Most of the phones are better than mine....

Reply to
Cosmic Ray