PCB Reference Designators

Hi All,

Can anyone point me to a webpage or standard that lists the international standard for PCB reference designators? eg, R1 for resistor, C5 for capacitor etc.

In particular, what is the standard for PCB headers and receptacles? Is it J or P? Also after what should be used for a PCB link.

Reply to
TT

Here's some pin name abbreviations from Altium:

Calling a connector J1 J2 etc., is a hangover from the American name "Jack" and is just their name for a socket. P1, P2 etc just means a plug, so P1 plugs into J1.

I'm not sure what you mean when you mention a link, as in a short piece of wire on a PCB usually to pass a connection over the top of some PCB tracks without touching them, it's a cheapy way to avoid having to use a double sided PCB if you can just have a few links instead. I don't think there's any naming standard for a link at all.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

There effectively is no "standard", at least none that any sort of majority actually follow. Most do it on an internal company standard basis, as each companies requirements are different. Standards can also change between products with different complexity too. Where no standard exists within your company, the designer usually does whatever they like.

If you *really* want something to follow, then I believe there is an IPC standard available, and also is (or was) an Australian standard available too, but I believe the Australian PCB standards were dropped in favour of the IPC standards. The numbers escape me though, try:

A quick search bought up IPC-DRM-18F which may help

one I know actually uses them.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

I've seen larger Australian organisations adopt the Australian Standard (SAA HB3-1986). However the designators in this standard differ from what you usually see in schematics elsewhere (V for semiconductor, X for connector). Most of the designators we see in schematics tend to come from either US or UK standards.

Reply to
swanny

The IEEE have a standard: 315-1975

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

That's a superseded one isn't it?

Reply to
Mark Harriss

Maybe, I don't know. If it was, then what superseeded it? It was reaffirmed in 1993 There is also 315A-1986, no idea what the difference is or which one (if any) is the most recent. In any case it's really only an Amercian/US standard I believe.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Well the Altium website does say something along those lines about 315-1975 (reaff. 1993) and 315A-1986 but on the IEEE website there was some blurb about 315-1975 no longer being a valid standard and being listed for historical purposes along with a some other standards.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

Mark Harriss =E5=86=99=E9=81=93=EF=BC=9A

Reply to
njsldz

Chinese for "Cheap but tasty"?

Reply to