OT Sad News

Finally, someone who was very good. And joined by Molly Sugden, who was rememberable.

Shame the ABC just couldn't bring the news to saying the pussy joke.

--
Great advances in Debian Linux; post a bug report and get spam in three
days.

.

Maybe this will be of interest.

Also odd that I have yet to see this on Australian news as it would blow the Australian government / police propaganda policy that "every man is a pedophile, or a pedophile in the making".

Without wanting to create any offence to you personally, you seem to have a similar attitude based on your comments. If you were on a jury in such a case, I wouldn't believe you could make a fair and just decision based on facts rather than media bias or personal feelings on the nature of the alleged crime.

This applies to a significant proportion of the population too IMHO.

This bias is probably why the thing was settled out of court.

I hope you press as hard for justice to be done to this bastard for what he had done to Jackson. Charges of Blackmail, extortion, perjury and instant freezing of all assets pending transfer to Jackson's estate if found guilty would be a good start. If you dont, then one day you could be the next victim of this kind of human filth.

Reply to
KR

It is not illegal to do anything like that, although I admit that these days (if a male) you would have to be totally crazy to go anywhere near kids or as much as look at or talk to children for fear of being branded or assumed to be a pedo, let alone have them coming to your house like jacko did.

I hope you dont have your kids friends come over, coach kids sport, or work legitimately with children in fully legal ways, just to have someone makes false accusations against you, and then have someone like you sit in judgement of you !

Reply to
KR

I'll start to believe it when the url has "

" or another reputable news service in it.

dmm

Reply to
dmm

Bit of a stretch there!

Yep, that's the way our society now is, you may not like it, but you have to live with it or face the consequences.

That's the way it is. Locally we have to pay for a police check to do most of those things now (you recieve a "working with children" card, and it is a crime to not have one when teaching, coaching, child minding etc.)

Men had better be careful kissing their own kids goodnight these days, let alone do anything remotely suspicious with anybody else's kids! Jacko was simply rich enough to ignore common sense. (which in his case was probably just as well for him :-)

However I should point out I'm *not* saying he necessarily did anything that would bother me or not. Like everyone else, I simply do not know all the facts.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

oops !

I meant "playing with" as in normal play/recreation, not "playing with " in a sexual way

Its true, and agree with that.

s a

Same here. A couple of friends who had high school age kids were coaching swimming and basketball respectively at their kids school (including their own kids) outside school hours. When the new requirements came in, about

80% of the parents in the groups just quit as they: 1> didn't want to "pay to volunteer" and 2> didn't want the hassle of forms, bureaucracy, interviews etc to have the right to "do something for nothing". 3>Insulted at having their years of integrity as family men, with no criminal record etc questioned

as

I would add " even having kids" to that list.

hat

Agreed, none of us know, only jacko and the victims (if there are any) will know.

The rest you can be assured will be based on media hype, loaded with bullshit in order to sell more papers, get more viewers etc. Even jacko himself is for certain the product of media crafted image in order to sell records, like just about any other "celebrity".

Reply to
KR

When you say "our society", are you just talking about Australia (though I know it's somewhat similar in the UK)? comp.arch.embedded is a very international group, and some of us live in societies that are still sane. Where I live (small town Norway), kids can go to the play park themselves, and when people go swimming in the nearby river, pre-school kids are frequently naked. I expect we have much the same level of real, dangerous pedos as anywhere else - but we don't have imaginary ones, and we don't run our society based on a paranoid fear.

Reply to
David Brown

have to

Well yes, I was really referring to USA, Australia, UK etc. But you are right, it certainly doesn't apply in some countries.

Glad to hear some don't. But then there are others that still believe in killing their children or siblings even. (And even the Norwegians do things many others don't consider totally "sane", like killing whales just because they've always done it.)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

In every country there are people that stand out in their crimes or ill-treatment of others - Norway is no different here. But in comparison to the UK (which as a Scot I know much better than the USA or Australia), we seem to be much better at understanding that these people are the exceptions. Norway has its share of murderers, pedos, etc. - but we don't treat innocent people as "potential murderers" or "potential pedos".

And just like people, every culture has its facets that others find immoral or unethical (I can think of several regarding Australia, the UK, and the USA - but I don't think spelling them out would add anything here).

Whaling in Norway is a complicated issue, with many here strongly supporting it and many strongly condemning it. Part of the issue is, I think, I desire to prove our independence.

Reply to
David Brown

doesnt matter which way u look at it , michael jacksons still a pedophile.

Reply to
mark krawczuk

if michael jackson wasnt a rock spider , then why did he pay out $20 million dollars to a kids parents IN ONE CASE ???? i mean , IF you where innocent , would you pay out 20 million dollars , ???

i dont think so ..

[...]

and also he says " its natural to sleep with little children on tv "

what a wacko

Reply to
mark krawczuk

what U THINK he " slept " with the kids and did nt molest em.... dont forget $ 20 million payout ///

It is not illegal to do anything like that, although I admit that these days (if a male) you would have to be totally crazy to go anywhere near kids or as much as look at or talk to children for fear of being branded or assumed to be a pedo, let alone have them coming to your house like jacko did.

I hope you dont have your kids friends come over, coach kids sport, or work legitimately with children in fully legal ways, just to have someone makes false accusations against you, and then have someone like you sit in judgement of you !

Reply to
mark krawczuk

====================================================================================================== ah , hem , if you have gotten a police check , read it carefully , it says on the form , that this doesnt prove that your not wanted or done any bad things..( basically ).. =======================================================================================================

Reply to
mark krawczuk

most

is

any

So? That's just to cover their own arse, and doesn't contradict what I said, i.e. it is now a legal requirement in some places to have such a card, whether it proves anything or not! No police check can ever prevent what *may* happen in the future, only weed out some of those who have already been convicted of such an offence. I guess the interesting question is whether Jacko would have been given one :-) Rather a pointless debate now however.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Lol, not everyone sleeps in a palatial mansion with 10 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms and servants. In fact, I'd hazard a guess that one room sleeping multiple adults and children is the norm throughout the world.

--
Great advances in Debian Linux; post a bug report and get spam in three
days.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
terryc

But not so much when the house *IS* a palatial mansion with 10 bedrooms, and the adult is not related to the children I imagine.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Money is relative. Although later he had a lot of economic troubles, at one point he had seriously large amounts of money. For him at the time, it would be easy to make a payoff of $20mil to minimise publicity and get the case out of the way so he can carry with his life and carrier. As a percentage of his fortune, it was perhaps the equivalent of $200 for a "normal" person - easily worth it.

So I don't think the payout shows any indication about his guilt or innocence. The criminal courts did not find him guilty, therefore he is legally innocent of the crimes charged. That's not the same thing as saying he is truly innocent - there's a lot of grey areas in a situation like this.

I think it's fair to say that no one here has any basis for judging his guilt beyond the courts decision. A person is presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond all reasonable doubt - that's the way democratic judicial systems work.

David Brown

We've already discussed that. You settle ("pay out") when

1) your team of attorneys have decided it's cheaper than trying the case. 2) The cost of losing the case at trial is so high that you can't tolerate even a small chance of losing.

You also have to balance those points against the liklihood that a settlement will encourange other people to sue. Being "guilty" or "innocent" doesn't even enter into the calculation most of the time.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I want you to MEMORIZE
                                  at               the collected poems of
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Grant Edwards

I don't think anybody is arguing that he's you average, ordinary guy. ;)

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! What a COINCIDENCE!
                                  at               I\'m an authorized "SNOOTS