OT Sad News

McMahon and Fawcett were really expected. The others were not. I believe Mays was also 50. That makes me nervous that the evil things are gathering to collect me.

 [page]:
            Try the download section.
Reply to
CBFalconer

Oh no!

Ben Bradley

Fact: 40-ish man invites little boys to come over and play with him in the children's room he decorated for them in his house. What bias do you need? Guilty.

Reply to
sv07171024

Meanwhile, various explanations are emerging re Michael's death.

1) Apparently the heart attack was triggered by Michael falling over a child's pram. Police said "We don't blame it on the sunshine, we don't blame it on the moonlight, we don't blame it on the good times... we blame it on the buggy". 2) Alternatively, it could have been hereditary. He might have had a defective Billy gene. 3) Finally, the family are having some difficulty finding an undertaker who'll accept plastic...

I'm bad.

Steve (PS: all the above nicked from another ng...)

Steve at fivetrees

Seen on textsfromlastnight.com - "they say celebs die in threes. leave it to billy mays to throw in one extra COMPLETELY FREE!"

Reply to
larwe

The "evil things" to which you refer are called "years of bad living" I daresay.

After all the recreational surgery Jackson had, it was a miracle he was still alive.

Reply to
larwe

"Not proven" is slightly different from "not guilty", and as far as I know only exists in Scottish law.

That aside, I believe most democracies still have the notion of "innocent until proven guilty". A court found him not guilty - he is therefore legally innocent unless and until someone proves that the court made a mistake.

Reply to
David Brown

In fact "not guilty" simply means the prosecution has failed to prove it's case beyond a reasonable doubt. There is NO verdict of "innocent" anywhere using a legal system similar to ours that I know of.

In name only, otherwise people remanded for trial and subsequently found not guilty would recieve compensation wouldn't they.

In fact many cases have been found guilty by one court and not guilty by another. Criminal and civil courts in the USA have different standards of proof required, often causing different outcomes.Where does that leave your argument?

In any case people can always believe what they like, I do not claim he is in fact guilty, however the payment of millions of dollars is rarely done by truly "innocent" people. It's a rather moot point now however.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

I don't agree there, unless there have been clear mistakes or bias involved, or particularly hard treatment of the innocent (i.e., not guilty) party. I don't know about where you live, but here in Norway people *do* get compensation if something has gone badly wrong. But otherwise, it's not often that completely unconnected and innocent people end up in a criminal trial, and that risk is one of the prices that must be paid for having a solid justice system.

Still, once a trial is over and the defendant found "not guilty", they are legally innocent, even if they have had to defend themselves in court.

I believe that is the case in most judicial systems - civil courts have a more balanced burden of proof, while in the criminal courts the prosecution has the burden. When you get a situation where a person has been cleared of criminal charges yet the victims have successfully sued for compensation, it is very difficult to say what is "true" or "right". Innocence and guilt are often very grey areas, which courts attempt to turn into black or white answers. But the person is /legally/ innocent of the crime, because he was not proved guilty beyond all reasonable doubt.

Agreed.

Reply to
David Brown

Easy to see that you have had little to do with any legal system.

Reply to
terryc

The payment of X dollars is done when people believe that not paying X dollars will result in something worse (e.g. payment of N*X dollars where N>1).

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! You mean you don\'t
                                  at               want to watch WRESTLING

Exactly. Legal systems are used by people to extort money.

Reply to
terryc

That's because there's no need for one. It would be utterly pointless to issue a verdict just to state the obvious fact. If you weren't proven guilty, you're innocent by default. It's as simple as that.

That conclusion is invalid. Innocence before the law doesn't mean you don't owe society some cooperation in finding the facts.

That's got nothing to do with the issue of guilt vs. innocence. Civil courts don't get to make any decisions about that --- they're about compensation.

Reply to
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Hans-Bernhard_B

Exactly, and why would they think that when they have far more money for better lawyers than the others? Just maybe they think there is actually a real reason to worry about losing even more.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

when you get involved in those games, only the lawyers win; a BIG cheque from both parties.

--
Great advances in Debian Linux; post a bug report and get spam in three
days.

Which is why the richest person can afford to bluff a poorer person from taking action regardless of merit, and usually do! Only an idiot takes legal action when there is no merit to it at all.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Yawn, you don't get it.

--
Great advances in Debian Linux; post a bug report and get spam in three
days.
Reply to
terryc

There is a real reason, but it often has little to do with "guilt" or "innocence". Look up "jury nullification". While that term technically applies to criminal law, the same thing happens in civil trails. I remember a quote from one curor in the breast-implant suite agains Dow-Corning: the juror stated the evidence clearly showed that the implants didn't cause the various health problems suffered by the plaintiff, but the juror voted in favor of the plaintiff becuase the plaintiff was a nice woman and had all sorts of health problems and large medical bills, and Dow-Corning had lots of money.

Dow-Corning lost big time even though there was never a shred of serious evidence (at the time or since then) that they were at fault for the plaintiff's conditions. You don't think Dow-Corning had plenty of money for lawyers?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I\'m DESPONDENT ... I
                                  at               hope there\'s something

Acting Legend Karl Malden Dead At 97

Don...

-- Don McKenzie

Site Map:

E-Mail Contact Page:
Web Camera Page:
No More Damn Spam:

Breakout, Prototype, Development, & Robotics Boards.

Don McKenzie

great man, and a good life.

Reply to
Bill Davy