OT Auckland drivers can not drive for nuts

Sorry for the topic & the posting, but there is a point read on,

Lets see there are about one million people living in Auckland, all day long on a Auckland Radio station "MoreFM" there are reports of road accidents, fine weather, wet weather it makes no difference, the accidents keep on coming in and updates every 15 minutes.

I was in Sydney while there was a bus strike, I was really impressed, one car from the main road would stop and let one car in from the side street, then that car from the main road would go and then another car in from a side street, exactly like a "zip" zipping up. Try doing that in Auckland, get real you would either get tooted at, are some "gay driver" would ram you, trying to get up your exhaust pipe, in fact Auckland has a lot of gay drivers trying get up your exhaust pipe.

I can recall one day when I was out doing home TV repairs, following a car that stopped at a round about, I had to make a panic stop, the joker in front stopped for no reason, not because there was anyone on the roundabout on his right but because he stopped there was someone on his left, not a lot of driver in Auckland know the "right hand rule"

But anyway, how does this compare with the accidents rate in other cities,

Reply to
Eric Richards

Auckland driving still hasn't ceased to amaze me, and I've been here for just over six years. Your average Auckland driver is a clueless drongo, quite frankly. Roundabouts are clearly waaaaay too complex to figure out, particularly for what indicator to use and when.

A lot of the problem is sporadic and half-assed law enforcement. Watching "Motorway Patrol" just tells you what's wrong.

Cheers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

Sounds a lot like Adelaide drivers.......courtesy and knowledge of the road rules are non-existant!

Reply to
Bully

road

At least in Melbourne, the drivers are ignorant but they know the rules. :-)

Ken

accidents,

one

street,

Auckland,

gay

car

cities,

Reply to
Ken Taylor

What ! In Sydney ????????? What part of Sydney was this ???? what were you smoking at the Time ??? I have been Driving in Sydney for a number of years now and cannot recall this kind of Behaviour from any but the odd driver typical scenario two lanes merging - first drivers in the Right lane notice that the traffic in the right lane has slowed down so they change to the 10m of left lane and help slow down the right lane by trying to barge in to the right lane again. In fact I recall one weekend driving up to Katoomba and observing that where the Highway was Single lane the Traffic flowed well but where ever the Highway changed to two lanes the Traffic banked up and Ground to a halt. And of course try driving North on the F3 any weekend and count the number of crazed Psychopathic Gayboys Tailgating less than 2 meters off your rear end at 110+Km/h (any lane - they tailgate in the left, middle or the right Lane makes no difference). In fact just last week I had a Gayboy tailgating and flashing his lights because I had the temerity to slow down to 55km/h in a 50 zone

Of course Traffic reports in Sydney are largely a load of cobblers and any areas reported as congested usually give you a clear run as all the gullible folk avoid them- at best Traffic reports are 2 hours behind reality and at worst they are completely wrong. I remember driving north on southern cross Drive one afternoon listening to Traffic reports of a Fatal accident and major Traffic congestion on Southern cross drive Thinking that there was definitely no crash on Southern cross drive and in fact there was unusually little Traffic for that time of the day I looked over to Anzac parade and realised that judging by the emergency vehicles and serious congestion the Crash was on Anzac parade - and to make things worse a lot of drivers were using Anzac parade to avoid the 'accident on Southern cross drive'. Well of course I rang the Radio station I was listening to, to let them know however an hour or two later they were still reporting the crash as being on Southern cross Drive.

Try driving in Sydney even at over the speed limit and you will soon have some Gayboy sniffing your exhaust pipe

The fact you made a 'panic stop' without some Gayboy giving you a liberace .....

probably comparable per head of driving population .....

Reply to
Richard Freeman

rear

You got feet? Your brake lights work? Use 'em. Ride the brakes for 2km, and then ever so slowly ease off the accelerator until you're doing substantially under the limit without them realising. Then speed back up to the limit. They usually play catchup then drop back because they now think they're speeding... Works well on the M4 for me.

Of course, you may want to take the route of instant gratification... pike with no warning and watch the clouds of smoke behind you.

-mark

Reply to
Mark jb

I've observed that some Melbourne drivers think that the indicator is an optional extra.

Reply to
dmm

Pike??

Reply to
dmm

y'know, jump on the brakes hard enough to dip the nose substantially... usually as hard as you can without locking or activating abs.

-mark

Reply to
Mark jb

optional extra.

Road rules are an optional extra over here with at least 50% of the drivers!

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

What part of Sydney was this ?

North Shore just near the bridge, I think it is called North Sydney.

[...]

I totally agree! Using turn signals and headlight low beam seem to be something which many Sydney drivers do if they happen to feel like it. Weaving from lane to lane and even giving opposite turn indications to what they're really going to do are routine down here south of the harbour. If the coppers actually started booking some of these fools instead of only enforcing the speed limit to make revenue, things might change. And returning the speed limits on arterial roads to their original

60-70km/h from the ludicrous 50 they've slapped onto a lot of them now as nothing more than another blatant revenue-making exercise would ease driver frustration (especially mine) But this is nothing to do with electronics, not directly anyway. :)

Bob

"Ken Taylor" wrote:

Reply to
Bob Parker

The best one over here is indicating on roundabouts. The law was recently changed so that you have to indicate left when about to leave the roundabout, even if you were going straight ahead. Now it's not like people were indicating correctly before anyway (I think the change was to make the law reflect what people usually do, coz it sure as hell makes no practical sense!). Now plenty of people indicate left when approaching a roundabout, maybe indicate right as they get on, then left again as they leave. Or they indicate left only, even if they're going right. But it's a great law change apparently as you (may) know that you can proceed into the roundabout a few milliseconds before you could have if they didn't indicate their exit.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

When I moved from Melbourne to Sydney (quite) a few years back, the Ryde Bridge was still the single carriageway of old. I had to merge down to one lane as I went against the peak flow. *No-one* would let me in, I had to just go for it. UNTIL I changed to NSW plates, then all was roses.......

Ah, Sydney-Melbourne rivalry strikes again..... :-)

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

Regarding the radio reports, have you noticed how inaccurate they are? Hauraki FM is particularly bad but I don't think More is much better (hey, a pun!). They are generally way out, reporting accidents and their clearing a long time after the incident occurs. I keep a scanner on Motorway channel to find out what's going on.

Cheers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

Dont forget you still have to indicate for 3 seconds....

My favourite trick is backwards round a corner thru a red light.

I once stopped a yank who was slowly driving onto the Symonds St. off-ramp - we were both stopped at the lights going up Symonds st, and he turned left. So I rode up beside him and banged on his window, then explained he was about to kill his entire family. 1988 or so.

Try driving in Massachussetts, where jaywalking is illegal but pedestrians have right of way ?! Seriously crazy driving.

In 1998 there was a push by the Boston city council to lower the speed limit from 30mph to 20mph to cut down pedestrian fatalities. This despite the fact that the average speed for traffic was 50mph.

I left auckland 2 years ago, and I sure dont miss the traffic. Here in Te Aroha we dont have traffic lights or even a roundabout :) Shame about all the retired folks though :(

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

One of the guys here at work was lucky one night - the last time a lady went north on the southbound carriageway of the Southern Motorway, he saw her flash by him in the next lane, missing him by inches (IIRC, she killed the guy a couple of cars back, plus herself).

I guess I shouldn't complain too much - my home town in country Victoria has equal problems with roundabouts, but it has 8,000 people and many of those farmers without a clue how to drive in town. What excuse does Auckland have? :-)

Cheers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

Bloody lucky.

and someone did that on the NW Mway not so long ago too.

the same excuse everyone else has: on average people are ratshit drivers, and are all convinced they are Michael Schumacher (when really its more like that useless f*ck Mike Barltrop).

The scary part is that a small splash of paint is all that separates you from oncoming traffic.

Oh yeah, I drive back and forth on SH2 a couple of times each week. Man have I seen some scary driving. Along with having a couple of swerve-or-die episodes.

In the early 1980s, Dad was driving me back from work one Friday night (about 1:30am), and talking about defensive driving. He said to always slow down at green lights, especially late at night, because "coloured lights never stopped anyone". Perhaps 10 minutes later, he did that approaching an intersection, and a fully laden logging truck roared thru a red light right in front of us, way above 50kph. It scared the f*ck out of me.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

Yeah, a 4WD T-Boned a small car at the lights around from work this morning. Methinks someone ran a red.

Cheers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

I usually slow down when a gayboy crawls up my rear end on the grounds that if gayboy is not going to allow a safe distance then I am obliged to.

Problem is that unless you have a valid reason for Braking or can appear to have a valid reason for braking then you are technically at fault if/when the car behind hits you and the last thing you say is that you Braked deliberately - of course if the gayboy is that far up your arse then he/it cannot clearly see the road ahead of you. BTW braking for an Animal could still get you in Trouble unless you claim that the Braking was instinctive ..... Lights are a favourite Braking spot combined with the claim that you were distracted by Gayboy behind Tailgating, Flashing its lights etc .....

Last Time I was liberaced I had had a gayboy on my Tail from North Sydney ( sorry Eric gayboys hang around North Sydney as well you must have had an exceptional series of coincidences during your visit) at around 2:00Am one morning who refused to pass even when I slowed down where the road went to two lanes. I waited however for once all the lights were with me until a pedestrian ran across the road in front of me at Hornsby........ I was intrigued to note that he slid under the rear end of the commodore I was driving efore he backed up from under the rear of my car and drove off. Another interesting note is that when you visit the police to inform them of another driver departing an accident without leaving their details they always assume you were at Fault until they find otherwise.

Another Time I had a gayboy on my tail one night and Braked heavily ..... The gayboy had his Lights and sirens going before we came to a halt. The Police commodore obviously braked better than the Loaded up standard commodore as he did not hit me ....

My most positive driving experiences have been on the South Island of NZ - truck drivers pulling over to let you pass, other drivers letting you in etc etc of course the strangest part was driving through Christchurch with my Grandfather when he commented that the Traffic seemed rather heavy that day. I am still not sure to this day if he meant the two cars stopped at Lights or something else - coming from Sydney I could not even see any Traffic let alone heavy Traffic.

Reply to
Richard Freeman