Non-contact infrared thermometer for hobbiest

From where can I obtain sensor to build a non-contact infrared thermometer ? (I know I can buy a ready to use hand held non-contact infrared thermometers, but I m electroics and robitics hobbiest. I want to build one my self just for fun)

Yoalsen

Reply to
<Yoalsen>

Here is an 8x1 sensor, there is a single unit sensor too. You may need a special lens to make it work long distances. do a seach for "pyro sensor 8x1"

-howy

Yoalsen wrote:

Reply to
howy

Nice find, but a small note. A thermopile is not pyroelectric. The latter describes a sensor than uses the principles of pyroelectricity to detect *changes* in heat. Thermopile elements can sense infrared energy directly.

I got a thermopile element out of a $30 handheld infrared thermometer. Waiting for time to hack it...

Hadn't realized Gerry worked up this sensor. Looks like he's been busy lately.

-- Gordon

Reply to
Gordon McComb