New REC Scheme

Press release today, for those following the solar rebate/REC thing:

I love the "Minister Assisting the Minister for Climate Change" title!

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

Does this make sense to anyone. How does the $40 per MWH for rooftop solar installs relate to to the $6200 subsidy. How do solar hot water heaters produce electricity, to entitle them to the $1500 subsidy?

Reply to
Mauried

Never, but I'll give my impressions from the press release.

From January 2011, if you install a 1.5Kw solar panel setup, you will get a $6,200 subsidy to install it and then for any electricty you produce from it and feed back into the grid, you will be paid $40 per megawatt hour.

They reduce the demand for electricty (on sunny days).

Reply to
terryc

For a gas fired water heater? (most of the systems installed in Melbourne use a solar heater with instantaneous gas booster)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

I understand that natural gas is a current darling as it doesn'tptoduce CO2, therefore assisting carbon reduction target.

Reply to
Terryc

Every hydrocarbon containing gas, when completely burned results in CO2 and water.

Jon

Still rather irrelevant to the original claim "They reduce the demand for electricity". They do reduce CO2 emissions during use of course. And natural gas water heaters produce less CO2 than burning brown coal to create electricity. And instantaneous burners are more efficient than storage systems as well.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

ce

ral

The whole point that these fools still don't want to seem to grasp is that the "carbon pollution" scam is on its last legs and its time to let it go and move on. Maybe they need to google "climategate" unless that POS CONroy has censored it already

That must be why I got a brochure with my last electricity bill claiming that I can save electricity by

- using citronella burning lamps outdoors instead of mains powered garden lighting

- cooking outdoors on a barbecue instead of using the electric stove

These might save electricity but are not necessarily cost saving overall.

- replacing PAR 38 floodlamps in motion sensitive lights with 25w CFL

That one probably would help, but even assuming that the lamps were happy to be used in such a fitting, the amount saved would be negligible considering the few minutes the said lamps would be turned on per day.

etc.

Reply to
kreed

Not to mention a 25W CFL hardly puts out the same light as a PAR38 flood lamp does. Simply use one of those solar powered LED lamps instead if light output is of NO consideration.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

ht

Most of them seem to put out less light than the equivalent wattage straight fluro even.

I found a long time ago that a single 40w fluro under the 2nd storey eaves lights most of the back yard very well.

It would also use about 1/3 the power of a PAR38, though in some cases the PAR 38 may be a better choice depending on the type area you want to light.

Reply to
kreed