Need a new charger for AA NiMH batteries

I bought some cheapie PowerBase brand batteries a while back that have been fantastic, however they have finally died. Use the batteries on my camera flash (canon 430ex). I am going to go out and by some more powerbase batteries tomorrow (unless someone suggest a better brand) and would not mind buying a decent charger. The charger I have is a pretty cheap piece of crap, so I figured replaceing it wont hurt. Any suggestions? I know nothing about NiMh chemistry and recharging, so figured this might be the place to ask.

Phil, waiting on your flames!

Reply to
The Real Andy

"The Real Andy"

** I charge my NiMh AAs with a home brew, bench PSU that has a continuously variable voltage and current limit. 400mA for about 5 hours is the go, I reckon.

When they feel a tad warmish - they're cooked !!

Never owned a commercial battery charger in my life.

I cook my own pizzas too.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I used to work for a company that imported and sold cordless phones wth NiMH batteries.

We were getting battery failures or faulty batteries.... I designed a "MEGA battery charger tester" for 5- batteries

The design used a LM317T in a constant current circuit 20mA..... worked a treat.

See these web links

Use a 10th of the mAmp/rating for an overnight ~ 14hour charge

Joe

Reply to
Joe G (Home)

Oh whoopsie do! In one of your toasters?

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

I'd have a close look at Sanyo Eneloop batteries before you do. I think some of the generic makers are copying them now.

Biggest problem with rechargeables in my camera, is that I use it lots, I have 4 sets of batteries, but often there are many weeks in between and the self discharge of normal rechargeables is atrocious. I always had half full batteries, and had to charge fully before use - and how do you know you are going to need it in 2 days time - ridiculous situation.

The Eneloops are amazing, totally different situation. They are always nearly full, and I don't have to know that I am going to use them tomorrow

With the number of rechargeable devices in this house, not having low self discharge batteries is asking for lots more work.

Cheers, Colin Melbourne

Reply to
Colin

. . .

I don't use my camera that much, but I had the same experience with Eneloops. I had ordinary NiMH batteries (Jaycar "Powertech") in my Canon camera. Half the time when I wanted to use the camera, they would let me down. I had to resort to always taking a spare set of alkaline AAs with me.

About a year ago I changed over to Eneloops and they are way better. I have only charged them two or three times since I got them - each time just before I knew I was going to be using the camera more than usual (old habits die hard).

Just recently I needed some more to use in another camera. I considered getting some "Eneloop copies" that I happened to see at Aldi. I decided not to take a punt on those as DSE (sorry, DS) had real Eneloops for not that much more.

Andy Wood snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Reply to
Andy Wood

My batteries in the flash cop a good hiding. I think I have had about

3 years usage from the current lot. I thought they were stuffed but it turns out it was the charger. The charger is designed to charge AAA with an inbuilt adaptor that flips down, up is AA, down is AAA. The must have been some issue with the contacts, because after I flipped it down then back up it started charging the batteries.
Reply to
The Real Andy