More on historical broadcasting gear

I managed to get hold of the John F Ross book mentioned in an earlier post, 'Radio Broadcasting technology', on an interlibrary loan, so presumably others in Oz could do the same. It's an interesting read, with a lot of technical detail and plenty of pics, but fairly bland. Everythying just works, there's no coverage of the struggles and difficulties that undoubtedly occurred. I recall someone mentioning to me years ago about some large Collins HF transmitters installed for Radio Australia that had big problems.

Some might consider it ghoulish, but you learn a lot from the troublesome episodes.

Reply to
Noodnik

I worked there in the early to mid sixties, I dont recall many probs with 100 KW txers at that time, however I did go back for a visit around

1972 and was told of a possible problem with the main transmitters. The valve manufactures had ceased production of the PA stage valves (F124A). They had arranged for another factory to make some on special order. I think there would be no more after that. I presume they would have run out by now.
--
Laurie.
Registered Linux user # 468070