Low light camera for catching kids littering

I live across the street from this family with 20-some year old "kids" who, I suspect, frequently throws things out their car windows onto my lawn and my driveway. I'm almost sure it's them, but I want video to prove it. I think my best option would be a small, low cost B/W camera with IR LEDs, connected to my DVR. However, I know very little about video cameras and am looking for suggestions. Could I point the camera out my front window, or would the IR emitters likely wash out the video? I'm not looking for anything fancy, just something to get the job done. The street is probably 50 feet from my front window.

Reply to
hondgm

You can buy those things most anywhere but not knowing where abouts you're from it would be hard to recommend a store.

Reply to
Meat Plow

This place has very good products.

Bob

Reply to
BobW

if you have a web camera on your PC, just stick it at the window and run the view software to record when major motion is detected or, use a video output option to record to your DVD device from your computer.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

I've used similar cameras from

At 50 ft you may need a separate illuminator, vice relying on an LED ring around the lens.

You will need to pay attention to reflections from the glass. If you go with a separate illuminator, try placing it at a different window.

Reply to
Rich Webb
50 feet away?

get a 12volt dc cctv camera weith sensitivity .1lux or less (less lux needs less light to get a decent image) ($20buks on ebay)

with c-mount lense size 25mm ($10 buks on ebay)

some Nanny cameras for baby observation during young age are radio remote type,allows you to place the camera anywhere. ($70 buks ebay)

most street lights will provide ample illuminaton, otherwise install a courtesy lamppost 'walkway light for your use" actually to provide light for the camera

or use an IR illuminator 12vdc powered ($10buks ebay)

mount it outside, inconspicuously, when they are NOT at home, so they dont know it exists

mount it about 25 feet from the active area, in a tree perhaps, or hidden in a flower pot or decoration

run a standard RCA type cable from the camera to your VCR. set it to record during the usual times 'it' happens.

review the tape whenever you find crap on your lawn next morning.

children usually 'party' betwen 9pm and 4am, they get drunk enough to begin the stupidity behavior about 3 beers into their activity, so you may need a dozen tapes to keep the action recorded for the cops to review.

make sure of the facts before you confront them!

if it is you who have mistakenly pissed them off for no really good reason,you are in for a good tussle with reason and reality.

children at that age are irresponsible, erratic, usually ignorant, inconsiderate, and highly prone to violence.

be careful, but deal with them. it gets worse if they think they have you in their grips!

Reply to
HapticZ