Task Force 3 watt led flashlight

How the hell do they make an LED so damn bright?

Reply to
Meat Plow

POWER! And a big heat sink. My road bike has a 5 LED white light that is brighter than most headlights, and it is 3 years old. There are 2 types I have heard of. 1. UV LED exciting special fluorescent white material. These are supposed to be the brightest.

  1. 3 colors R.G.B. at the right power to appear white but harder to make. The whites in my bike light use 3.3 V through a resistor from 4 AA's so are about 100 mA total. It is a Cat Eye Opti Cube HL-EL300, and makes a nice flash lite when not on the bike. 4 x 2,800mA hour batteries gives
28 hours of light, and if I drop something at night it is bright enough to use as a search lite at ground level. I find tools that just happen to glint and catch my eye, mostly industrial from one of the local work trucks, but stuff in general. Bill Baka
Reply to
Bill

**Modern white LEDs can manage around 100 - 120 Lumens/Watt. This is more than 4 times the figure attainable by halogens (incandescent). It rivals fluorescents and is catching up to halide discharge lamps (the kind fitted to high end autos). Unfortunately, LEDs suffer from the same thermal constraints applicable to all silicon and silicon-like devices. Maximum chip temperatures are limited to around 175oC. Halogens and discharge lamps are not so constrained. Bulb temperatures can be MUCH higher. They can, therefore, occupy less space than LEDs, since LEDs require substantial heat sinking.

Moral: If you think LED torches are bright, have a look at a halide torch.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

I've never heard of UV LEDs. They're not impossible, but they'd require a rather wide band gap.

My understanding was that white LEDs were blue LEDs with a yellow-fluorescing material. (blue+yellow=white -- to the eye)

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in news:JeydnSX7Xe-TE-PVnZ2dnUVZ_v snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net
Reply to
Jim Yanik

Fascinating. Thank you.

I'm sure they're popular among geologists, among others...

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Dunno. Ask the alien visitors. All such advanced technology was reverse engineered from a crashed UFO at Roswell NM as detailed in:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

**They've been around for quite some time. They're not quite UV, in the sense that a fluoro is, but they still produce significant UV output. I've used them in place of expensive (and virtually unobtainable) miniature cold cathode UV tubes.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Yep, we did some UV LED light strips for some arcade route. Cluster a load of them together and they look pretty cool.

Reply to
James Beck

Meat ! I'm surprised someone as experienced as you has to ask that ! Everyone knows that they do it by packing the magic smoke in UNDER PRESSURE ... !! :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Yeh silly me heh. There are actually a couple things left that I still don't know :)

Reply to
Meat Plow

Hundreds I don't, mate !! I went in my friend's shop today and he said "Hey, waddya know ?" I told him "Everything about nothing, or nothing about everything, take your pick"

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Lol !

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, May  2008
COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow