Free electricity?

an antenna, the answer is yes. Crystal radios have

that technology quiet.

be no signal for the receiver to receive.

dependant resister.

impact on your electricity bill, the answer is no. The

which is one reason no one uses a crytal radio for their

single component

amplifiers...

strongly doubt that anyont uses them as a practical way of

kit. I wondered

it does.

electrical power."

nuclear power plants. Otherwise it will usually come

export renewable electricity to the grid, providing a

neutrality is one thing. Carbon neutrality is another.

fired generation (typically) using solar power during

net CO2 production, because coal fired generation

missed

hydrogen

that's

requirement is

daylight per day, you'll need 2kW from your solar

Installed For $1699. Get 25 Year Warranty!

Nothing For 3 Mnths On Our Payment Plan-See How

pay, not what they cost. Typically RECs are created,

them?

there.

carbon fibre, etc. etc.

It's a separate issue.

important at high speed.

interest paid on money borrowed, or interest forgone on

will be imposed to recover the petrol excise that's

public

people,

direction.

sticking 2 electrodes in rain water! PERFECT!

efficiency probably requires that it be done slowly. If

then the extra voltage times the current is energy

awkward on the road,

economy.

size of the engine, and drive train, providing a saving

between an engine's size and its efficiency at some

to say on the matter.

concede that the fatility rate is probably very low. I have

quickly, which would make them next to useless as a

I strongly doubt that you can expect people always to survive a 10g[*] impact where they're restrained by a seat belt. One broken rib is all it takes to puncture a lung.

In any case, a seat belt doesn't give in a linear fashion, so the deceleration would be much less than 10g initially, and much more towards the end.

[*] Notation: The abbrevation is "g". G stands for the universal gravitational constant.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

an antenna, the answer is yes. Crystal radios have

that technology quiet.

be no signal for the receiver to receive.

dependant resister.

impact on your electricity bill, the answer is no.

which is one reason no one uses a crytal radio for

single component

amplifiers...

strongly doubt that anyont uses them as a practical way

kit. I wondered

it does.

off-peak electrical power."

[...]

improve economy.

size of the engine, and drive train, providing a

between an engine's size and its efficiency at some

to say on the matter.

concede that the fatility rate is probably very low. I

quickly, which would make them next to useless as a

where they're restrained by a seat belt. One broken

would be much less than 10g initially, and much

constant.

I'm surprised auto-drive is not at commercial levels for highway driving.

The white lines should be easy for a computer to identify, any unknown hazard and you just slow to a stop and beep and flash the driver, speed would be min (100km/hr, speed to keep 30 meters from ahead car). Practically no intersections or turns.

I guess sitting behind the wheel doing nothing is boring on the highway, and being a lot more difficult problem to solve in cities - it's somewhat practical but not desirable to only solve the easy half of the problem.

But robot cars will around long before Hydrogen / Electric cars take off, see how safe they are and at what speeds their safety starts to drop.

Herc

Reply to
|-|ercules

an antenna, the answer is yes. Crystal radios have

that technology quiet.

be no signal for the receiver to receive.

dependant resister.

impact on your electricity bill, the answer is no.

which is one reason no one uses a crytal radio for

a single component

amplifiers...

strongly doubt that anyont uses them as a practical way

generator kit. I wondered

apparently it does.

off-peak electrical power."

nuclear power plants. Otherwise it will usually come

can export renewable electricity to the grid, providing

neutrality is one thing. Carbon neutrality is another.

fired generation (typically) using solar power during

significant net CO2 production, because coal fired generation

missed

hydrogen

that's

requirement is

daylight per day, you'll need 2kW from your solar

Installed For $1699. Get 25 Year Warranty!

Nothing For 3 Mnths On Our Payment Plan-See How

pay, not what they cost. Typically RECs are created,

them?

there.

carbon fibre, etc. etc.

It's a separate issue.

important at high speed.

year.

interest paid on money borrowed, or interest forgone on

will be imposed to recover the petrol excise that's

public

people,

direction.

sticking 2 electrodes in rain water! PERFECT!

efficiency probably requires that it be done slowly.

electrolysis, then the extra voltage times the current is energy

awkward on the road,

improve economy.

size of the engine, and drive train, providing a

between an engine's size and its efficiency at some

nothing to say on the matter.

concede that the fatility rate is probably very low. I

quickly, which would make them next to useless as a

where they're restrained by a seat belt. One broken

deceleration would be much less than 10g initially, and much

gravitational constant.

intersections

On a pristine road in good conditions, with disciplined other drivers, and I dare say it's quite feasible to have an automatic vehicle.

Throw in unmaintained roads (including missing and altered lines), bad weather, difficult lighting and idiots, and the task becomes a lot harder.

Reliability is also an issue. Producing something that goes wrong less often than human beings do could be quite difficult. Humans have quite good self-monitoring. Sudden failure with no warning is quite rare.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

from an antenna, the answer is yes. Crystal radios have

that technology quiet.

there'd be no signal for the receiver to receive.

dependant resister.

impact on your electricity bill, the answer is no.

which is one reason no one uses a crytal radio for

a single component

amplifiers...

strongly doubt that anyont uses them as a practical

generator kit. I wondered

apparently it does.

off-peak electrical power."

nuclear power plants. Otherwise it will usually

can export renewable electricity to the grid,

neutrality is one thing. Carbon neutrality is

fired generation (typically) using solar power

significant net CO2 production, because coal fired generation

and missed

of hydrogen

that's

requirement is

of daylight per day, you'll need 2kW from your solar

Installed For $1699. Get 25 Year Warranty!

Nothing For 3 Mnths On Our Payment Plan-See How

to pay, not what they cost. Typically RECs are

shop.

them?

there.

carbon fibre, etc. etc.

It's a separate issue.

important at high speed.

year.

interest paid on money borrowed, or interest forgone

tax will be imposed to recover the petrol excise

public

people,

panels

direction.

sticking 2 electrodes in rain water! PERFECT!

heat.

efficiency probably requires that it be done slowly.

electrolysis, then the extra voltage times the current is

awkward on the road,

improve economy.

size of the engine, and drive train, providing a

between an engine's size and its efficiency at some

nothing to say on the matter.

concede that the fatility rate is probably very low. I

quickly, which would make them next to useless as a

impact where they're restrained by a seat belt. One

deceleration would be much less than 10g initially, and much

gravitational constant.

intersections

dare say it's quite feasible to have an automatic

weather, difficult lighting and idiots, and the task

than human beings do could be quite difficult. Humans

Yeh plus the red tape, but while driving 1000s of kms last month it crossed my mind it would not be much more difficult technically than cruise control, veering left and right between the solid line on the left and dashed line on the right, but only on highways. An alarm would solve most unforseen conditions for a prototype alteast. Not sure your human reliability argument is apt here.

Herc

Reply to
|-|ercules

from an antenna, the answer is yes. Crystal radios have

that technology quiet.

there'd be no signal for the receiver to receive.

dependant resister.

measurable impact on your electricity bill, the answer is no.

which is one reason no one uses a crytal radio for

with a single component

amplifiers...

strongly doubt that anyont uses them as a practical

generator kit. I wondered

apparently it does.

off-peak electrical power."

from nuclear power plants. Otherwise it will usually

can export renewable electricity to the grid,

neutrality is one thing. Carbon neutrality is

fired generation (typically) using solar power

significant net CO2 production, because coal fired generation

and missed

of hydrogen

so that's

requirement is

of daylight per day, you'll need 2kW from your solar

Installed For $1699. Get 25 Year Warranty!

Nothing For 3 Mnths On Our Payment Plan-See How

to pay, not what they cost. Typically RECs are

shop.

them?

already there.

carbon fibre, etc. etc.

It's a separate issue.

important at high speed.

year.

interest paid on money borrowed, or interest forgone

tax will be imposed to recover the petrol excise

the public

people,

panels

direction.

sticking 2 electrodes in rain water! PERFECT!

heat.

efficiency probably requires that it be done slowly.

electrolysis, then the extra voltage times the current is

awkward on the road,

improve economy.

size of the engine, and drive train, providing a

between an engine's size and its efficiency at some

nothing to say on the matter.

concede that the fatility rate is probably very low. I

quickly, which would make them next to useless as a

crashes.

impact where they're restrained by a seat belt. One

deceleration would be much less than 10g initially, and much

gravitational constant.

intersections

dare say it's quite feasible to have an automatic

weather, difficult lighting and idiots, and the task

than human beings do could be quite difficult. Humans

the right,

I'm drawing a distinction between making errors, and simply failing. Anyone whose had much experience with electronic equipment (and these days, that means all of us), will know that it has an unfortunate tendency to stop working, abruptly, and with absolutely no warning.

Humans can do that, for example with strokes, and to a lesser extent, heart attacks. But most of the time there is at least some warning which gives a driver time to stop.

When the automatic control system on your vehicle fails, your knowledge of that failure could be limited to the few seconds between the failure and the moment you're obliterated by the truck coming the other way into whose path you've strayed.

Even aircraft control systems, with multiple redundancy, and arguably a rather easier task, still manage to fail in unexpected ways. Fortunately, the crew have time to sort things out. A car driver won't have that luxury.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

from an antenna, the answer is yes. Crystal radios

keep that technology quiet.

there'd be no signal for the receiver to receive.

dependant resister.

measurable impact on your electricity bill, the answer is

which is one reason no one uses a crytal radio for

with a single component

amplifiers...

strongly doubt that anyont uses them as a practical

generator kit. I wondered

apparently it does.

off-peak electrical power."

from nuclear power plants. Otherwise it will usually

can export renewable electricity to the grid,

Energy neutrality is one thing. Carbon neutrality is

gas fired generation (typically) using solar power

significant net CO2 production, because coal fired

and missed

of hydrogen

so that's

requirement is

of daylight per day, you'll need 2kW from your

Installed For $1699. Get 25 Year Warranty!

Pay Nothing For 3 Mnths On Our Payment Plan-See How

to pay, not what they cost. Typically RECs are

shop.

uses them?

already there.

and carbon fibre, etc. etc.

driven. It's a separate issue.

important at high speed.

year.

interest paid on money borrowed, or interest

tax will be imposed to recover the petrol excise

the public

the people,

panels

direction.

by sticking 2 electrodes in rain water! PERFECT!

heat.

maximum efficiency probably requires that it be done

electrolysis, then the extra voltage times the current is

awkward on the road,

improve economy.

the size of the engine, and drive train, providing a

between an engine's size and its efficiency at some

nothing to say on the matter.

concede that the fatility rate is probably very low.

quickly, which would make them next to useless as a

crashes.

impact where they're restrained by a seat belt. One

deceleration would be much less than 10g initially, and much

gravitational constant.

hazard

intersections

dare say it's quite feasible to have an automatic

weather, difficult lighting and idiots, and the task

than human beings do could be quite difficult.

rare.

the right,

whose had much experience with electronic equipment

tendency to stop working, abruptly, and with

attacks. But most of the time there is at least some

that failure could be limited to the few seconds

other way into whose path you've strayed.

easier task, still manage to fail in unexpected

have that luxury.

It's still 100X more reliable than a person prone to falling asleep, being distracted.

A double redundancy independant system that detected unsafe driving could simply make an alert. Airplane cruise control must be 100X safer than 30 years ago. NASA probes use 3 independant computers and vote on what to do!

Herc

Reply to
|-|ercules

--
John G
Reply to

**I disagree. Self-driving autos are not far away (for highway conditions). Multiple redundancy of control systems and power is easy enough. Redundancy of servos is another problem. That said, a controlled shut down, in the event of a servo fault is easy enough.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

You could just kill the thread instead of whining about it.

Or don't you know how to?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

"Trevor Wilson" wrote >

mummble 2 words. >:|

Multiple redundancy of control systems and power is

shut down, in the event of a servo fault is easy

Or just a "beep" and "flash" to return to manual driving.

But there are problems even now, when my engine stalled last month I tried to turn into a street but the steering locked up aswell. Not just loss of power steering but unable to move the wheel at all. I rolled into the side street on the right hand side of the road and landed perfectly in a car park, facing the wrong way, under a shady tree!

There was a petrol station, mechanic and motel 5 minutes walk away!

Herc

Reply to
|-|ercules

**It's not about size. It's about location. The size of the antenna relates to the frequency of operation. Your TV enatenna, for example, sucks a minute amount of energy from the TV transmitters. Think in terms of pico Watts (10^ -9 Watts). And a TV antenna is not a small device. Location, OTOH, is vital. It you (could) run an antenna a few hundred kms straight up and anchor it (somehow) in orbit, you could extract significant amounts of power by virtue of the antenna 'cutting' the magnetic lines that surround our planet. Scientists are working on just that. It is WAY beyond the home constructor. Even the guys at NASA can't yet develop the technology required. The hurdles are significant.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

I believe they are making a tether of carbon nanoparticles that will be
strong enough to resist the earth's rotation. The earth becomes one huge
generator.
Reply to
LuR

Won't that weaken our magnetic field and maybe screw us up completely?

Reply to
DavidW

Anyone noticed that just about all the free energy schemes you see advertised on the Net require you to buy a book. Dont you think its a bit odd that no one has actually bothered to put the details on the Net .

Reply to
Mauried

Actually no. That's one argument I think doesn't hold water. If I had a technology for obtaining free energy I certainly wouldn't go sharing with all and sundry on the internet. Woud you? Really? If so, why? It's an easy assumption to make - if it really exists someone, sometime, will have made a video and popped it on YouTube, taken photos and stuck them on Flickr and boasted about it all over usenet/ Geocities/Facebook* - but it's an assumption that doesn't follow from any logic I can see. There are lots of things that are real but have no internet presence at all.

  • Whatever happened to Geocities?
Reply to
Wolfgang Wildeblood

size matters. You can't recieve more broadcast power than is incident on your antenna.

Yet a larger antenna (eg a phase array) can produce multiples of that output power. but 4 times stuff all is still not a lot.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

probably just extract energy from the earths spin (by deforming its magnetic field and causing drag vs the solar wind). There's an awful lot of energy there, it's been powering the tides and lifting the moon for billions of years

if the earth stops spinning we're probably screwed

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

If you put a coil of the right design for the frequency right next to the transmitting antenna, you might then be able to extract a usable amount of electrical energy, though its hardly practical and probably illegal.

Start going further away from the transmitter and a thing called the "square law" tends to rapidly eliminate any practical energy collection

Reply to
kreed

No.

e they have seen too many incompetent, mismanaging, money-wasting Labor gov= ernments"

Don't know, there may be some old enough to remember that the Labor party back then actually stood for the workers, and did some positive things for them.

The ones that vote for them would still be naive enough to believe that they still do this,vote for them because they always have done, or are still living in the old days.

Some might think Julia is sexy,

Some may just hate the liberal/national/green parties more than Labor. ;)

with the Green/ALP carbon tax"

peoples money"

You are dead right on those - probably more right than you realise.

Reply to
kreed

I heard about someone in the mid-80's who'd erected a large complex antenna to harness radio signals, and then modulated them down to 240V 50Hz to power his house. Apprently he was caught because no-one beyond his house could pick up 2WS.

I don't know if the story is true but it's technically feasible. It's just like a transformer except the secondary winding is some distance from the primary winding. That's pretty much how a radio works anyway...

--
Lawrence
"Swallow, come!" - Sea Man - 21 April 2010

It seems highly implausible. He'd have to be capturing a significant proportion of the total transmitter output. It's certainly an urban myth created by someone with some knowledge, but not enough.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else