Emergency stops on machines [Australia]

It's a little off topic but its been quiet in here lately so............

We are reviewing our OH&S and I was wondering what the requirements are in regard to emergency stop buttons on machinery in workplaces?

The workplace is a small manufacturing company with an associated workshop with a small drill press, bandsaw, grinder, linishing belt etc.

The workshop is only used by experienced / trained staff.

Thoughts?

Reply to
DAB

Regardless of what the 'legal obligations' are, you should certainly equip every machine with an emergency stop button. You owe that much to your workers....

Here's some info;

A risk assessment process is where you start, then go on from there.

--

Xeno
Reply to

I agree with your sentiments but cost & real world issues always get in the way! BTW, I'm one of the workers too.

I've found various gov documents but they are very wordy and vague. That link you provided by contract is quite succinct, thanks for link. It would seem that most of the small machinery on the market wouldn't pass the requirements. I guess a lot of stuff is aimed at domestic use.

Reply to
DAB

The way of looking at that is simple. When you look at a risk factor, think of the worst possible scenario, a death say, then think of the consequences that will ensue from that - jail time, criminal negligence proceedings, higher insurance premiums, potential closure of the workplace, so on and so on. Large companies can afford the risks, small companies go to the wall. A friend lost all the fingers on his right hand through lack of a guard on a guillotine. Another nearly lost his face when a d*****ad foreman removed a danger tag from an overhead crane. It's not just equipment, it's safety procedures as well.

You're welcome. I'll agree it's often hard to sift the wheat from the chaff when searching on the net these days.

A lot of it is cheap shit from China these days. It doesn't seem to be put through any scrutiny before being sold in the marketplace here.

I used to work in a mining environment and safety regulations were very strict, much stricter than any other place I have ever worked. I got used to thinking safety first. The only place more strict would be the offshore oil industry. I have friends in that field and I have heard some interesting stories..... When safety gets lax in that industry, things go pear shaped extremely quickly.

--

Xeno
Reply to