EcoSwitch

Anyone know if something similar to this EcoSwitch is available?:

So simple, just a wired remote power switch. Looks ideal for several applications I have, but it does not seem to be available. Latest news says available in early 2008. So it seems a bit dead in the water.

Yes, I know I could easily make one myself, but I don't want to do that. And yes, I know wireless remote switches are readily available to, but I'd prefer a wired one exactly like the EcoSwitch.

Thanks Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

ww.eco-switch.com.au

No luck, Tried the email (wouldn't mind a couple myself) all it did was come back with an automated response showing the data I had entered and NO list of places to buy By the look of the website and the blurb, nothing has happened there for some time and I wouldnt hold my breath.

ditto on Ebay.

Shame, Its a brilliant Idea, and I did see this on TV some time ago (ABC inventors) It should be a goer for many reasons. I have a feeling I have seen something like this in Big W or similar but could be wrong.

I made up a similar device some time back for the wife's computer, due to inaccessible power point behind the desk and its a brilliant setup, but like you and most others I would prefer to simply buy something like this if the price was reasonable.

To anyone contemplating making one of these, for safety purposes, it would be worth considering using a double pole switch, though if you want to use a single cord to the switch, it might not be possible unless you can use 4 core mains cable and a double insulated switch and enclosure (to avoid the need for an earth).

I used inline switches some years back (older model than the one shown in the pic of the eco switch) and they were all double pole anyway and well insulated housing.

Reply to
kreed

available?:

Yup, I got the same response. It's a goner I'd say.

Likewise, I'm sure I've seen something similar somewhere along the line.

Everything is wireless these days though.

I've also made the same thing with a lamp cord switch. Would have to be about 20 years ago now.

Where are the Chinese when you need'em? :->

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

sort of thing I could use also.

I see the DSE wireless one:

is obsolete:
no longer produced

Not a bad price, but if you can't get, or replace them easily, the wired Ecoswitch type would be fine.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.wizard-of-oz.com

http://www.dontronics-shop.com/super4-usb-relay-module.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

one:

Bunnings have a whole heap of remote power adapters, can't remember prices though. Ebay have them too, like these:

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Thanks Dave, with a bit of luck, I'll pop in and see Mr Bunnings in the morning.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.wizard-of-oz.com

http://www.dontronics-shop.com/super4-usb-relay-module.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Just to add, I'm talking about the big Bunnings "Warehouse" stores, don't know about the smaller stores. I've also been hassled by many spruikers flogging home Automation gear in the Electrical isles, complete with display stands etc. Our local Bunnings Warehouse has a whole isle of home automation stuff. You can have fun with those people though ;-)

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Struth, nothing cheap at Bunnings along those lines.

Local DSE has run out of the main unit, but still has the slaves on special. Useful as an ashtray on a motor bike.

Looks like the EcoSwitch is still my best option, if I could get them. :-)

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.wizard-of-oz.com

http://www.dontronics-shop.com/super4-usb-relay-module.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Greetings all. I am the inventor of the eco-switch and thus take responsibility for it taking so long to get to market. Almost 2 years ago I engaged the services of a particularly well connected agent to procure manufacturing on my behalf in China. Some 8 months later no tooling, no manufacturing and $25kUSD out of pocket due to his unscrupulous business practices. Subsequently I sought the services of another agent who's now taken another 8 months to do not much more than repeatedly fail safety testing and generally mismanage the entire project. This has been the most risky and financially testing business I have ever been involved with, and I caution all you inventive types out there.

Anyway, your interests are fair and clear...when can we buy an eco- switch? The answer is...I hope early in the new year. Sorry for the interminable delays, please trust me that I'm doing my very very best. Beyond the eco-switch are other exciting inexpensive energy abatement devices in development once this flagship product gets up and out to you good patient people. Please keep faith.

Reply to
eco-switch

Hi Rod, if I were you, I would be letting the public know of the problems you have encountered by placing this information at:

so that you at least keep the project active. A projected retail price may assist.

Certainly enough interested people in this group. Good luck with it.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.wizard-of-oz.com

http://www.dontronics-shop.com/super4-usb-relay-module.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Sorry to hear that Rod. Why not try bypassing these "agents"? I know many people who get stuff manufactured and prototyped direct in China without any hassles what so ever. And there are companies who will just handle the safety testing and approvals for you too.

All this hassle for a switch and some mains cord!

I agree with Don, an update on the website is well over-due. Stick a real date on it to keep people interested (not "I hope early in the new year")- you can always change it.

Great, how much? (roughly)

Just don't make it one of those "energy saving" boxes with a cap in it, or you'll be summarily hanged, drawn and quartered.

Regards Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Thats under control, thanks

Under $20

A "cap" in it???

Reply to
eco-switch

Capacitor (for power factor correction). See:

and
They are all the rage at the moment, people are being duped in droves.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 02:20:06 -0800 (PST), eco-switch put finger to keyboard and composed:

What kind of approvals do you need before you can sell such a device on the Australian market?

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 03:18:24 -0800 (PST), "David L. Jones" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Are there any moves to mandate power factor correction for domestic consumer equipment in the near future? Will domestic electricity consumers ever need to worry about peak load penalties? It seems to me that this is one obvious bandwagon that Australian Greenies haven't yet jumped on (thankfully).

Ironically, in switching from incandescent bulbs to CFLs, we went from an ideal PF of 1.0 to a PF of around 0.5. It might be difficult to incorporate PFC in a CFL, though.

As for the Enersonic Power Saver, its makers claim that ...

"When buying an electrical appliance (eg. Washing machine) there is a choice between an appliance of a 'high energy rating', which consumes less electricity and costs more, or an appliance of a 'low energy rating', which consumes more electricity but is cheaper to buy. The Power Saver unit operates on a similar principle and converts the whole electrical circuit to a 'high energy rating circuit' therefore saving you money on your electricity bill."

I wonder if anyone actually bought a "low energy rating" appliance based on this claim? My refrigerator's energy rating reflects its power consumption in kWh per year, not kVAh. Do other jurisdictions, eg the EU which AFAIK mandates PFC, measure energy ratings based on kVAh?

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Extensive testing to a plethora of esoteric Aust/NZ Standards which ones depending on the nature of the product, then Electrical Safety Certification. Not for the light-hearted that's for sure.

Reply to
eco-switch

if it's only that bad, and CFLs are mrerly 3 times more efficient it's still a reduction in distribution losses.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

stock number 35397

Reply to