EA Mini-Scamp

For those interested, I came across an original EA Mini-Scamp computer on Ebay:

I know a few people on here are into this sort of stuff so thought I'd point it out.

The unit has certainly appreciated in value if it goes for $500

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

For those interested, I came across an original EA Mini-Scamp computer on Ebay:

I know a few people on here are into this sort of stuff so thought I'd point it out.

The unit has certainly appreciated in value if it goes for $500

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

How many gig of ram?

Reply to
Elmo

A smidge over 0.0000002GB Plenty.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

from memory, ((no pun intended) :-) enough to play the first three lines of happy birthday.

and only 4 hours to hand program it.

would be nice to bring back a few memories, and have a slice of Australian computer history, but not at $500.

still someone may pay that.

does anyone want to buy the first PC in Australia? Landed March-1978 TRS-80 Model one, slightly modified. Two new heads, three new handles.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Affiliate Program:   http://www.dontronics.com/affiliate
Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.wizard-of-oz.com

Parallax Propeller Powered .96" OLED module
http://tinyurl.com/2vr2gr
Reply to
Don McKenzie

I hope you are telling the truth.

Reply to
L.A.T.

The bit about the first PC in Australia? I believe so. Arguably. Had it on back order until supplies arrived in Australia in March-1978. Tried for a Commodore Pet, as they were the first advertised in the U.S., but Commodore wouldn't send me one, as they weren't geared up for 50Hz and 240V, even thought I said it was my problem, not theirs.

The bit about the two new heads, and three new handles? Almost. I should really take photos of it. There are rows of chips piggybacked to others, and a birds nest of wiring running on both sides of the boards, with ZIF sockets for EEPROM firmware and character generators. Original keyboard wore out, so I fitted a new one from a Super-80 computer. (Dick Smith kit).

Only driven by a little old man to Tandy User group meetings, in the late 70's. :-)

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Affiliate Program:   http://www.dontronics.com/affiliate
Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.wizard-of-oz.com

Parallax Propeller Powered .96" OLED module
http://tinyurl.com/2vr2gr
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Reply to
Smoky

I was referring to the George Washington axe.

Reply to
L.A.T.

OH, a similar example was also seen in Only Fools and Horses, (British television sitcom) where Trigger won an award for using the same broom to sweep the streets for twenty years, even though he?d replaced the head 17 times and the handle 14 times.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Affiliate Program:   http://www.dontronics.com/affiliate
Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.wizard-of-oz.com

Parallax Propeller Powered .96" OLED module
http://tinyurl.com/2vr2gr
Reply to
Don McKenzie

FWIW I still have my DREAM6800 in a moving carton the garage. Might resurrect it one of these days...

Chris.

Reply to
chris

That's a very big IF!

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

I think it's cheap. If you look at what the first Australian paintings and bush furniture is selling for these days the computer is a bargain. It's a part of Australias technological history. I think whoever buys it will make a lot of money out of it one day.

Reply to
Elmo

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com...>

For those interested, I came across an original EA Mini-Scamp computer

Time will tell I guess, but early computers like this are popular and can often fetch high prices with collectors.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

:L.A.T. wrote: :>> does anyone want to buy the first PC in Australia? Landed March-1978 :>> TRS-80 Model one, slightly modified. Two new heads, three new handles. :>>

:>> Cheers Don... :> :> I hope you are telling the truth. : :The bit about the first PC in Australia? :I believe so. Arguably. Had it on back order until supplies arrived in :Australia in March-1978. Tried for a Commodore Pet, as they were the :first advertised in the U.S., but Commodore wouldn't send me one, as :they weren't geared up for 50Hz and 240V, even thought I said it was my :problem, not theirs.

You are most likely correct in your claim Don. The TRS80 was first announced on August 3rd 1977 in the US and it would have taken around 6 mths for it to gravitate to Australia.

:
Reply to
Ross Herbert

:For those interested, I came across an original EA Mini-Scamp computer :on Ebay: :

: :I know a few people on here are into this sort of stuff so thought I'd :point it out. : :The unit has certainly appreciated in value if it goes for $500 : :Dave.

I wonder what my Natsemi SC/MP Microprocessor Applications Handbook would fetch nowadays :-)

(original cost US$5.00)

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Hmm I threw away three pallets of Trash 80 models 1,2 and 3 as well as the 240V powered 6 meg hard disk with glass lid on it to allow viewing of the spinny bits. Also threw away lots of model 1000 and 2000 Tandy's.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

When that DREAM first came out as a kit, we were calling it NIGHTMARE in the shop after a couple of weeks.

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
Design Engineer         J & K Micro Systems
Microcomputer solutions for industrial control
Note reply address is invalid, convert address above to machine form.
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

So you are buying it then? The seller will be pleased I'm sure.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

It's only because most people do this, that makes those remaining worth anything at all. And you still need to find a sucker, I mean buyer :-)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T