Dejavu Altronics

I just noticed an ad for Altronics on Facebook It's Altronics Jim, but not as we know it!

It's owned by a couple of guys in QLD.

Perhaps old Jack O'Donnell might have something to say about using the Altronics name...

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

"David L. Jones"

** Andrew Cormack and Alan Spiers - right ?

Aka " A&A Multimedia" .

Bet they are just the guys who put up the web site and registered the dot net.

** Absobloominlutely !!!

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Truth is, Jack can't do anything about it.

There are two Dontronics in the world, myself and one registered to a South Australian TV repair company.

Google: "dontronics south australia"

I contacted Business registrations (this is way back in 1995) to find out that each registration is only a state registration. There is no such thing as an Australian national business registration, so every state and territory can register the same business name.

At the time, I spoke to the "Don" of Dontronics in S.A., he was also amazed, however as we didn't see a conflict of interest, we ignored it. Mind you, if there was, it could have been very different.

Doesn't stop me getting the spam-phishing from China such as, "We have a customer wishes to register the domains dontronics.com.cn, jp, .co.uk, etc., etc. and for $75USD each domain, we can register these on your behalf". :-)

Gee, thanks me old china!

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

Breakout, Prototype, Development, & Robotics Boards:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/sparkfun-electronics.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

You're not wrong, Phil.

Reply to
DavidW

** I think he very much can.

** No conflict - so no issue.

If there was a serious conflict, then one business can be made to change its name.

In any case, the only " Altronics " registered with ASIC under:

"Altronics Pty Ltd " & " Altronic Distributors Pty Ltd ".

BTW:

This is the guy in Brisbane who put up the site "

".

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Mine is registered as a business under the business names act 1962, not as a company, so maybe Jack can do something.

And why did he use .net.au?

Will be very... interesting....

I'm sure there is more to come.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

Breakout, Prototype, Development, & Robotics Boards:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/sparkfun-electronics.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

**Truth is, he can and probably will do quite a lot. Lawyers and money can achieve a great deal in these situations. Mr O'Donnell probably has plenty of both.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Because .com and .com.au were taken, and they knew it!

If A&A multimedia are just the innocent web designer here, then they should have at least advised their client that it's probably not kosher to run a retail business from a .net.au domain, especially given that another established company already has the same existing domain name.

Also if I was the client I'd question as to why there are Facebook ads already when the website isn't even finished. Not even basic contact or "about" details.

Also, A&A have registered the clients domain name entirely in their name. I don't know if this is normal practice, but I was of the understanding that it goes in the clients name and you are just listed as the technical contact.

No doubt!

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

I doubt that any business in their right mind, would want the web designer to have control of the domain name.

Unless of course it was the same person, or the client was very naive in common sense business practices.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

Breakout, Prototype, Development, & Robotics Boards:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/sparkfun-electronics.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

"David L. Jones"

** If you look at the page on car DVD players - the units offered have screens attached to a 2-DIN box.

This means they will be visible to a car's driver.

It's illegal in Australia to drive a car with such a screen operating and visible to the driver.

The ones usually offered for sale here have remote screens that attach to the back of front seat head rests or else the roof of the car.

What gives ??

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

They have a screen disable wire that's /supposed/ to be connected to the hand brake.

--
- Mike
Reply to

** So it goes ON only when the brake is engaged ??

Why would anyone *actually* buy one with that massive draw back ??

Are handymen installers likely to wire it up like that ???

Shouldn't the advertising contain that crucial info ??????

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yes.

I don't know. A lot of these units also use the screen to display normal stereo system info like radio frequency/CD tracks etc. That still works even with the park brake wire grounded.

I very much doubt it. :-)

That would be nice, wouldn't it? :-)

--
- Mike
Reply to

Plenty on the market they don't mention that they are illegal to use on the move.

keithr

I'm disappointed that Phil didn't take a bite.

Reply to
DavidW

** Bite who ??

I'm waiting to see who is lurking behind this scam.

BTW

My info is that the REAL Altronics are, as the famous lady said,

" ... not amused ".

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yep.

--
- Mike
Reply to

"Phil Allison"

** Who feels there are same spooky parallels with this Chinese site ??

Who woulda thunk......

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

It's obviously all just part of some big affiliate thing, there are probably dozens or hundreds of websites with the same content and stuff for sale. That's why the altronics.net.au stuff is shipped direct from the main provider in China. All one needs to do is set up an affiliate website and watch the bucks roll in, they don't have to lift a finger. But that won't happen because odds are the real Altronics will get them shut down before they even get it operational.

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

Why would you do such an apparently dumb thing? Are original names with customer pulling power that hard to come up with?

Reply to
Bruce Varley