Compaq 800 notebook boot failure

Hi, having an issue with this laptop. Model says series PP2160. It won't get past POST, and will only display the red Compaq splashscreen with a F10=Rom Based Setup message. Hitting F10, F2, Fn+F10, F8 all do nothing.

I've tried:

- booting on battery

- booting on mains

- removing the RAM module and starting

- removing the HDD and starting

- swapped out the RAM module

- tried the RAM module in the other slot

- leaving the battery, HDD and RAM out overnight

I've been able to fix another Compaq using these steps before, but have now hit a brick wall with this one. Hoping someone may have had this before, as I hoping I don't have to send my client to the Compaq dealer.

Thanks, Xygt

Reply to
xygt

Try finding the permanent backup battery (usually a CR 2025 or similar). Remove this for about two minutes and see what you get.

Cheers

Lynchy

Reply to
Brett and Dale Lynch

if the unit sticks at the post screen and does not proceed, then there is a problem somewere (obviously). Chances are, you could have failed ram, A bad boot partition or other. change the ram.

Reply to
Matt2 - Amstereo