CFLs again

I wandered through Ikea yesterday (what a bizarre experience, BTW). Anyhoo, they had some cheap and cheerful desk lamps for 10 Bucks. They accept MES base lamps. Ikea offered a choice of two globes with this lamp: A 25 Watt, mirror back incandescent, or a 7 Watt CFL. The CFL rocks. Whilst I did not have a light meter on hand, the light output of the CFl was significantly greater and the heat generated significantly lower than the incandescent. The CFl was 10 Bucks and the incandescent was $2.50. No comparison, IMO.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Mercury ? RF & IR Noise ? Reliability ?

Give it a year and update us, cheers

--
Regards
Mike

**I'm not going to eat it, so it doesn't much matter.

**I've never had a problem with RFI with any CFL.

**I've owned several Ikea CFLs in the past. They last a LONG time. In fact, out of the four I previously purchased, all are still operational. In fact, the ONLY CFLs I had trouble with are the El CheapoT types, which appear to be mechanically fragile compared with my preferred, Philips types.
**I didn't buy one, but I did buy a couple (different sort) of 7 Watters for the stove (no, no, not the oven) lighting. Finding the size in MES fitting has been a PITA, but the Ikea ones do the trick nicely. They're such a PITA to replace, I like the idea of leaving them in place for a very long time. Further and for the record, the reason I went to Ikea was for these nifty little kitchen cupboard door dampers. Very neat. 15 Bucks for a pack of 6.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

On 26 Feb 2007 04:08:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@iinet.net.au (Mike) put finger to keyboard and composed:

I found this interesting document that claims that incandescent bulbs are responsible for more mercury than CFLs.

US Environmental Protection Agency fact sheet

CFLs Responsible for Less Mercury than Incandescent Light Bulbs

"Ironically, CFLs present an opportunity to prevent mercury from entering our air, where it most affects our health. The highest source of mercury in our air comes from burning fossil fuels such as coal, the most common fuel used in the U.S. to produce electricity. A CFL uses 75% less energy than an incandescent light bulb and lasts at least 6 times longer. A power plant will emit 10mg of mercury to produce the electricity to run an incandescent bulb compared to only

2.4mg of mercury to run a CFL for the same time."

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar