Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer

Why don't you email Karl von Moller for the address?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Fri, 08 Oct 2010 09:34:39 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

It is probably a complot betwene Adobe and Microsoft. The both adore the God Of Bloat.

Ballmer and the Adobe CEO got togeth4r to discuss strategy against Apple. What a joke, they should just make sane stuff, else they are finsished (Adobe already is). Nokia also got together with MS, and even has an ex MS manager as CEO now. No more Nokia for me, I know what will happen.

Strange, that is at 14 seconds in my player.... You can get those from many places, Conrad has them too I think. Or the one at 1:31 with the PCB in it? Dunno about that one.

Oh, yes, Conrard. I typed 'derde hand' (Dutch for third hand) in

search window, prices from 5 to 10 Euro (wity magnifying glass).

I think the main problem with electronics for the beginner is that everything gets too small. I mean you need a microscope and oven to start. No markings on SMDs, so nothing to re-use. Ball grids so nothing for a kid to put together. The PICs is DIL is about the last thing that allows some beginners to develop something.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

True. But ... it works.

Well, I'll keep my trusty Nokia 2115i :-)

I meant the first one. The Conrad web site is so screwed up, do you have any idea how this thing could be called in German or Dutch so one could find it? I really like the sturdy little pole it is fastened to, and the fact that it has two outriggers.

How do you get to their Dutch site? With "Dritte Hand" (German) I only found the usual flimsy ones:

?search=dritte+hand&=Schnellsuche&initial=true

It didn't recognize "derde hand".

gets too small.

I use a Veho microscope. It has cost me $100. Much less strain on the neck and the eyes.

Even in my professional designs I never use BGA, except maybe a small

6-8 ball RF device. Anything much bigger is a recipe for field failures. Even more so with RoHS.

something.

MSP430 also come in DIP. However, I think SMT is easier for hobbyists.

0805 and 0603 usually have markings but not the caps. For SOT23 you need a look-up table but those are on the web. For caps, and ideally for other stuff, you've got to get things organized into bins or coin envelopes (I use both). The beauty of it is that it occupies a whole lot less space in the cabinet. For hobbyists my advice is to keep some larger boards with SMT. From the old VCR, and so on. If suddenly you find you need a 12.4k resistor chances are there's one on there. Oh, plus you can stack'em. And keep two solder irons, makes it a breeze to get parts off the old VCR board.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

this 'hd' video it seems.

hxine in Linuxc:

state_of_electronics_in_australia.ts

state_of_electronics_in_australia.ts

If God had intended us to do electronics, He would have created us with three hands.

John

On a sunny day (Fri, 08 Oct 2010 10:31:49 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Only on a super fast PC, tha tis why Intel is in on it too, they want to sell ever mroe hardware, and MS and Adobe ever more software. That you can just download H264 is NOT somthing the ycould make a profit on.

I have 2 Nokias, one with internet and video, I like it, but, and I do no teven like Apple, they will have very hard time countering Apple, It now seems Android is the big winner, and is Android not Linux based?

Tell you German frrend to look for article numbers 588221 - 62 588124 - 62 588225 - 62

Then why not type 'Dritte Hand' in

I you beat me to it.

That is the one from the movie.

has them too:

Because I use conrad.nl

Maybe you, with your advanced system, can post a screenshot of that movie of the one you mean? It is easy with xine, just press the button.

gets too small.

Yes I have one too, older, but magnification is too big. I can do it with the webcams though.

something.

Seems liek a clever idea, 2 irons.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

this 'hd' video it seems.

hxine in Linuxc:

state_of_electronics_in_australia.ts

state_of_electronics_in_australia.ts

Good point! So we are all doing something rather sinful then?

Note to self: Must repent, must repent :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

gets too small.

Nonsense. We have a lot of interns at work. If they show a real interest in electronics we show them how easy it is to solder SMD. BGA is out of the question, but downto 0603, 0.5mm QFP and QFN are no problem once they get the hang of it.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

Well, this here PC is several year old and has a 1.6GHz Intel dual-core processor. Standard graphics hardware, as integrated on the Dell-edition of the Foxconn mobo.

teven like Apple,

No idea. I don't need any of this stuff.

Thanks. The first two look flimsy but the 3rd one might be ok. I just told him about it.

As I said, I did, but only the first two came up.

That's the usual flimsy kind. There always comes a day where you tighten the holding screws almost to the point where the threads strip out and the thing still sags. This is why I resorted to a drill press vise.

?search=dritte+hand&=Schnellsuche&

That failed in my browser this morning. Now all I get is "U gebruikt een verouderde link. Roep de pagina opnieuw op", which typically means they succumbed to cookie mania. No way I am going to do that. Too old of a link, yeah, right. If they fired the script kiddies they could probably sell a lot more stuff.

the one you mean?

Here goes:

everything gets too small.

I tried a web cam, wasn't too enthused. The Veho has 20x natively which fits nicely for 0603 and smaller parts. 0805 I can still do with 3x glasses from the Dollar Store.

develop something.

Always did it that way. But you need some sort of rough spot where you can gently wipe off the part. It sticks to one of the tips and you don't really want to flick it. Be careful, you don't want a blistering hot part falling onto your dog or into your socks.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Fri, 08 Oct 2010 19:43:54 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote in :

gets too small.

Well, you are an impolite unexperienced idiot. So, with that out of the way, this is not about kids the age of 'interns'. I started at 4 to 6 years old to build things. A book could be written how I got to the stuff, even as simple a thing as a soldering iron. Anybody who started at a later age probably is your level.

Yes, and where does the little kid get the right tools. Stupid sigs same over and over again waste of bandwidth, just llike the Jimmy Rebugblican commercials in every posting. Juk.

plonk

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 08 Oct 2010 12:55:35 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

teven like Apple,

Well, you are using Usenet...

This is what I mentioned to you in a previous reply, that site is nerve wracking. Some time ago I had to order about 80 parts, and I had entered 70 or so, and the f*cking site timed out (many tabs open, with 'add to shopping cart).

So I now have the part numbers in the spreadsheet and just order by part number.. If their price (final) is the same as mine I made no mistake. But really if you phone them they are very helpful.

Absolutely.

the one you mean?

Nice, yes we are talking about the same one, for a moment I thought you ment this: ftp://panteltje.com/pub/screenshot_223.gif (at 1:31)

everything gets too small.

I found out I can simply add glasses, so if I put on +2.5 on top off +1.5, I can get a good close look :-) Those are the cheap glasses from the drugstore.

develop something.

I do not have dog, I have damaged some good clothes with solder though.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

teven like Apple,

So are you. So we are both geezers :-)

wracking.

number..

Use Digikey, then all those problems go away.

the one you mean?

this:

That's also a nice gizmo but for that job a small drill press vise works just fine. I like to keep the number of gizmos on my lab bench at a minimum.

everything gets too small.

Well, shazam! Just tried that and it works. Thanks!

develop something.

One guy on our multiplex truck in the army wore sandals one day back home and soldered. Ball of molten solder rolled off the tip of the iron, right between his toes ... phsssss ... OUCH

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

I bet he was really phsssssed off~! ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

: :"David L. Jones" :>

:> Karl Von Moller has finished the trailer for his awesome Australian :> electronics industry documentary: :>

: : :** Looks bloody fantastic - wot a hoot!! : :My old pal Doug Ford ( ex Jands Electronics and Rode mics) is in it too. : :Be very pleased if anyone can supply his current email addy. : : : :.... Phil : : :

It might even be as simple as

Ross Herbert

"Ross Herbert" "Phil Allison"

** Thanks.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The trailer triggered my mind to think about my trip to Malaysia a few years ago. Todays electronics tinkerers are in Asia. And there are lots of them and they are more eager to learn whatever they can than students in a western society!

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

Visiting Thailand recently, it is common to see Thai Electronics mags in the bookshops, with give-away electronics kits stapled to the cover, complete with PCBs.

Just like in Oz 20 years ago

......... Zim

Reply to
Graeme Zimmer

:Visiting Thailand recently, it is common to see Thai Electronics mags in the :bookshops, with give-away electronics kits stapled to the cover, complete :with PCBs. : :Just like in Oz 20 years ago : :......... Zim :

Er, try 40 years ago....

Reply to
Ross Herbert

the

I do remember "Talking electronics" including a free PCB with some of their early issues about 1981 or so. Not the parts though.

Reply to
kreed