ADSL questions.

Greetings group. I have a friend who is trying to set up a ADSL service, but it is not working. Bigpond say the problem is at the customers end.

If another computer + ADSL modem that is already working on another phone line in another house is brought to my friends house, will it work without changing any settings?

Can anyone suggest any other kind of test to find out where the problem may be?

Thanks, Russell.

Reply to
rg26ce1991

Define 'not working'. Did blue smoke escape? Did it get a connection but you can't transfer information? What have you tried? What happened when you tried it?

Cheers! Rick Measham

Reply to
Rick Measham

On 24 May 2006 05:53:08 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Many (all?) ADSL modems have built-in diagnostics and event logs that you can access from a browser interface. If you can identify the make and model, maybe someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Don't type, copy & paste!

(somehow "Don't walk, run!" didn't seem appropriate ;-)

Plenty of forums to answer your questions, even down to specific router/modem makes & models.

HTH. Chris.

Reply to
chris

------------- As long as the modem is connected to the same ISP (some ISPs such as Optarse and Bigpuddle require special firmware settings/features) then there "shouldn't" be a problem doing such, however I will make no gaurantees.

Also, take note that aus.computers would be a more relative group for this topic as it is more to do with the subject of computers than electronics.

Reply to
Tsunami Australia

At the time I sent the first post, I had not been at my friends house.

was plugged into the phone line, but it did not.

The problem has been solved, the trouble was at telstra's end.

Russell

Reply to
rg26ce1991