A Bouquet for Microsoft

I've nearly fixed my PC . yay

Big thankyou to everyone who replied regarding the audio problem with the 2 second echo on music cds. Problem is it's a Windows bug and moreso if your registry gets corrupted for some really obscure reason

Now I can't do a clean install as I no longer have my Win98 CD so I took a trip to the Dark Side.......

I phoned Microsoft and explained my situation. They asked if I had the original certificate of authenticity from Win98. I explained that when I lost the CD that had gotten lost too. The only thing I have from my original purchase is the user manual.

So they asked if I could scan the front and back cover of my Windows XP Home CD folder and I did that sending that to their orders section as an email. Originally they had asked if I had a certificate from the XP packaging but I said that the box was long gone and it never had one of those stuck on it but only a sticker saying it was assembled in Singapore....

Anyway to cut a long story short they are sending me another Windows XP Home CD but not the same version I have the full version CD. OMG and for only $41.50 inclusive of postage....

Seems my computer shop ripped me off on the OEM version by $100 but I'm not complaining as I did want it but geez I wish I had known Microsoft would be quite understanding......

Reply to
Kissing Lettuce

You couldn't just logon to your computer and use Keyfinder to tell you your registration number?

Reply to
Derry Air

And your point is?????????

I can do all that but it's still going to ask for a previous version CD at the start of the install.

Reply to
Kissing Lettuce

or Belarc?

Reply to
Damien McBain

Yay to you too.

Lemme get this straight. You paid $41.50 for an O/S (inclusive of postage) when you could have got one which works a damned sight better for free? Methinks you have paid too much :)

Don't blame your computer shop for ripping you off cos he got ripped off himself!! :)

Reply to
Moses Lim

And Now the part where I kick myself..........

I just did the reinstall today with my existing XP CD.......

Here are a few things that happened that I did not expect to happen

When the installation started I was given the option to either repair the existing setup or do a fresh installation. OK Here is where I thought it might want my old CD...

So I let it continue and it then asked which partition I wanted Windows to go on. I then said to use the existing drive. So it begins to reformat the drive and do a clean install and I never got asked at all to show it any previous version of Windows...

I'd love to know how it skipped that step. Not game to reproduce this just in case it does actually f*ck up and ask for the old windows disk as it's now stable and running.

The new CD they sent is indeed a full version including the dreaded SP2.....

It also has as part of the etched hologram "Not for retail. Not for OEM"

Reply to
Kissing Lettuce
< snip >

Quite true. One must wonder what the 'actual' price of such software would be without the huge markup?

Reply to
Kissing Lettuce

It would be astronomical.

It amuses me sometimes that in spite of the constant complaints by Microsoft and others about the "huge rates of software pi racy and the

10's of billions a year that it costs them in lost sales/profits", Mr. Gates still has became the world's richest man. (or pretty close to it).
Reply to
Kendrick Reed

It only happens when the drive cant be read or there is no Windows to be found.

Reply to
Derry Air

Thanks for that

So it read the old stuff off the drive before reformatting I take it??

Reply to
Kissing Lettuce