1-25 m range sensor

What type of range (distance) measurement sensor (and/or sensor combinations to minimize the total cost) available with the following specs i. Range : 1-25 meters ii.Accuracy : 2-5cm iii. Max spot size at target : 10cm radius @ 25m iv. Repetation rate : 10Hz v. Price : (Yes, I would prefer "low cost" whatever it means)

Reply to
Ricardo Perezzo

A tape measure

$10 from bunnings

Andrew M

If you could handle a much larger spot size, and possibly a lesser range, ultrasonic rangefinders are the cheapest option for long distances. If the small spot size is required, then you might be stuck with pricey laser rangefinders that measure the round-trip travel time. The Acuity AR4000 measures up to 16.5m and lists at $3500. Similar products can be found elsewhere.

Later, Daniel

Reply to
D Herring

combinations

I bought one on sale at the local hardware warehouse for about $50 the other day.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

You can get a 25m tape for that price? Here in the US, for $10 you would be lucky to get a good 25-foot tape.

Mark Borgerson

Reply to
Mark Borgerson

combinations to

See, if you went metric you'd get a 300% + improvement on things straight away.....

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

That sounds like a laser rangefinder to me. All you need is a laser diode and photodiode, possibly a reflector on the target coupled with some very fast pulse generating and measuring. Hope that helps with the homework.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Actually, most laser range finders use a phase measurement, rather than actual flight time. Leica Geosystems makes some fairly lowcost laser distance meters, around $800 if I recall correctly.

cadcoke3

Thanks for the link. The Disto Lite is only $330 (at lascolaser.com) and measures up to 200m with 3mm accuracy. Their higher-end units have bluetooth for wireless data transfer. If I only had a reason to buy one; they look neat.

Daniel

Reply to
D Herring

Does Disto Lite has any computer interface such as RS232?

Reply to
Don Gravos

The DISTO Lite and Classic do not have the ability to transmit data. A previous DISTO, called the DISTO Pro 4, did have an RS232 port. It is no longer being manufactured. It was replaced by the DISTO Plus.

If you have any questions about the DISTO products, feel free to ask them. You can also visit our website...

Best Regards,

Matt Johnson LaserMeters.com

Reply to
mjohnson

"Ricardo Perezzo" skrev i meddelandet news:4323ea5b$0$19001$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au...

Your Mom (when you do something she does not approve of)!

She comes for free!

--
A. P. Richelieu
Reply to

Gee!

You must be really fast with the tape measure to achieve 10 Hz repetition rate betheen 1 and 25 m.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Twist