Project: satellite STB

Need one of these and it occurs that a PI 3 plus SD card, DVB s2 usb dongle, remote mouse and keyboard, case & PSU would actually allow me to drive the HDMI TV port with sound and video,and be happy to access my network media stores via the onboard ethernet.

I'd use Ubuntu MATE to underpin it...kaffiene for choice.. looks like kaffiene is in that distro

anyone have any comments?

Josef Stalin
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've used various DVB-S/DVB-T cards over the years, some have the tuner/demodulator chips 'direct' on the PCI bus, others 'hide' them behind a PCI->USB bridge, so they're effectively dongles on a card, obviously if it's an actual dongle it must be USB.

The disadvantage I find with both of the USB approaches is that they tend not to have hardware PID filtering, so the CPU has to process the full ~40 Mbps transport stream and filter out the one or two it's interested in viewing/recording in software. So you get high levels of interrupts and context switches, I don't know if a Pi copes well with that or not?

Reply to
Andy Burns

usb

If you are doing anything with HD video, I'd stick to Raspbian, as the video acceleration is better than Ubuntu. (Unless things have changed in

the last 12 months).

---druck

Reply to
druck

Thats ood, since Ubuntu is based on Debian...

let them."
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

...but the hardware-specific code used for video acceleration will be in Raspbian-specific drivers. These may never get back-ported to Debian since they will be quite hardware-specific, i.e. useless on anything not using Broadcom chips that include their GPU

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie
          | dot org
Reply to
Kiwi User

yebbut ubuntu for the pi is still based on debian for the pi.

let them."
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sure. If I understand the way these things work, for Ubuntu to use Debian GPU driver it would have to get backported from Raspbian to Debian possible modified to harmonise its calling conventions and documentation with the Debian motherlode before being incorporated into Ubuntu.

Given that Ubuntu seems to go off in its own way which isn't necessarily all that compatible with Debian and/or its direct derivatives it seems likely that the above harmonisation would need to happen before Ubuntu could use the Raspbian driver and/or in the meantime Ubuntu has developed its own drivers for the RPi GPU and either won't use Raspbian code (the Not Made Here syndrome) or their API is sufficiently different from Raspbian that they think the extra performance is not worth the effort needed to make the change.

All of these seems perfectly reasonable reasons for Raspbian and Ubuntu to be using their own GPU drivers.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie
          | dot org
Reply to
Kiwi User

On 17/12/2017 14:39, The Natural Philosopher wrote: > yebbut ubuntu for the pi is still based on debian for the pi.

Raspbian is based on Debian, and Ubuntu is based on Debian. But not everything in Raspbian is in Debian, and certainly not in Ubuntu.

---druck

Reply to
druck