Pi USB Batter UPS Setups

   Hello everybody!

There was some discussion on setting up various USB batteries for a sort of
PiUPS...

I'd like to get some feedback on the devices that users have found to WORK in
the  role of PiUPS. Got a setup that needs to have this, and using even el
cheapo APC AC UPS salavaged from places and Ebay and putting $40 batteries in
them seems out of line.

Looked at the Amazon Basics 16.1AH USB battery but it cuts off the power ports
when you charge. Some one there was looking to do exactly what I want, and
foudn out its useless.

Any one have known working devices, with *US* purchasing options.

Ideally it would have a setup like the Amazon units 2 USB port for power, a
microUSB for charging...plug Pi into one port, charger into uUSB port, and not
worry about the stray power glitches... it doesn't even really have to run that
 long, 5-10 minutes till gen set auto starts.

In my current time frame, plug and play is needed. I don't really have time to
build something.

Thanks.

Rick

... Ding Dong the Witch is DEAD! I Made America Great Again! President Trump!

Re: Pi USB Batter UPS Setups

Pimoroni and http://www.piups.net/ sell Pi UPSes but, after you add a
battery, they may be more expensive than you're expecting.

But, there's always DIY:

Using an in-line 6 or 12 v SLA (Sealed Lead-Acid battery) together with
an off-the-shelf battery charger plus something that outputs constant 5v
when driven by the battery is probably the easiest DIY approach.

Notes:

1) Size the SLA to match your measured load and the length of time the
system must run if there's a mains outage.

2) The SLA charger must be able to output more power than the RPi plus
connected devices needs or the battery will slowly drain.

3) The SLA charger should be a 2 or 3 stage unit that goes into float
mode when the SLA is full and can go back to charge mode as the RPi pulls
the battery down below its float level. Not all can go back into float
mode, so ask the vendor specifically about that (in writing?).

4) This is probably not much cheaper than buying one from the two
suppliers mentioned above: if you want something with more than toy
capacity its going to cost more than the RPi by the time you add sensible
sized batteries.

5) An SLA of a given capacity is cheaper than an equivalent rechargeable
lithium battery and MUCH less likely to catch file than a Li Ion battery.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

    A car USB charger is quite a good option for the "something",
easily available and cheap - either open up the case and wire it in, fix
wires to the plug or even get a socket for it.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith                          |   Directable Mirror Arrays
C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun

I'd go for opening the case and wiring it in every time.

Put it in a small, preferably metal, box from Maplins (or your local
electronic parts retailer) looks neat. Some of these have LEDs, letting
you mount it by gluing the LED into a hole in the box lid, or just hold
it down with a Pritt adhesive foam pad or two.

The 'cigar lighter' sockets are far too prone to act as a randomly
triggered USB-charger launcher, IME anyway. Strapping the charger into
the socket with insulation or duct tape just looks disgusting.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Rick, they seem to have ignored your comment it has to be plug and play.

Re: Pi USB Batter UPS Setups
.

Not necessarily. Readers here are no elderly houswives. Cutting off two
plugs and soldering the two cables is no less plug and play than
securing a plug with tape. "Plug and play" implies it's allowed to have
to connect up ("plug") several components. Time consuming modification,
setting up and calibration would be another thing.

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --

Re: Pi USB Batter UPS Setups

And from the OP:
"I don't really have time to build something."

Re: Pi USB Batter UPS Setups

That was just my point, which you seem to have missed. For the right
people with the right equipment at hand, some things are less, not more
time consuming to do than the "easy" ways aimed at the masses.
Trying to make a dodgy "simple and straightforward" connection reliable
is one of the latter.

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --

Re: Pi USB Batter UPS Setups
You're not reading the OP's comments elsewhere in this thread are you?

Pi USB Batter UPS Setups

   Hello Martin!

26 Jun 17 21:22, you wrote to me:
 MG> Pimoroni and http://www.piups.net/ sell Pi UPSes but, after you add a
 MG> battery, they may be more expensive than you're expecting.

Thanks, but, NOT *US* based distribution.I am just not fiddling with outside US
shipping delays, or possibly never getting here... Second, it hooks into the
GPIO pins, which it potentially intereferes with certain setups, I am one of
the few and I guess  only who ever used the THE EXCELLENT Wolfson Audio board ,
it truly is a GEM.. Too bad Cirrus fubar'd it.I guess its dead as all the
source are OOS and no on wants to discuss it at Newark/14 etc....  URRGGGHH.

 MG> But, there's always DIY:

Lastly, I don't really have time for that..

I need something I can plug AC adaptor into charge port, put plug into Pi,
forget about it.

I have about 30 projects in my lab in progress right now for various things...

Using AC UPS's is OVERKILL for this IMO, and right now my current AC UPS are
maxed on either power or outlets right now. Even adding in the Pi's charger
would trigger shutdown before the generator started... I've actually had to
shed some things right now that are not critical.

Rick

... Ding Dong the Witch is DEAD! I Made America Great Again! President Trump!

Re: Pi USB Batter UPS Setups
Can't resist asking what you're doing. In most cases a few minutes outage
isn't a big deal, just wait for the Pi to reboot. I've depowered mine many
times with no ill effect, except maybe a prolonged fsck on restart.

Martin's answer seems to be as close to "no building" as is practical.

You could use something like Amazon's Jelly Comb car charger with a
regular 12 volt battery and a separate charger. You'd still have to buy
cables, wire the USB charger to the battery and hook up the battery
charger. By the time you're all in I'd expect the cost to exceed $100.
This approach avoids custom USB cables but certainly isn't plug and pray.

hth,

bob prohaska

Pi USB Batter UPS Setups

   Hello bob!

27 Jun 17 03:00, you wrote to me:
 bp> Can't resist asking what you're doing. In most cases a few minutes
 bp> outage isn't a big deal, just wait for the Pi to reboot. I've
 bp> depowered mine many times with no ill effect, except maybe a prolonged
 bp> fsck on restart.

I live in an area prone to power issues during storms, that may be
extended...as well as the stray idiot with car and pole.  I've already had to
run for about 10 hours due to idiot verus pole.... amazingly some how the fiber
was not cut for the ISP's and their power supplies for the line gear were far
away enough to keep power... No they both suck in that they drudge out the
idiots with generators on trucks if it goes too long... but till then you are
SOL.

Contiuning my life outside of those situations is critical. I am to the point I
am looking to have a VSAT for hot standby on internet.

Since the ding dongs here can't get the concept to bury stuff, and the paths
for the various power, and two ISP's all runs the same poles.

Then there is the stray power glitches which the Pi's just don't like...

 bp> Martin's answer seems to be as close to "no building" as is practical.

Afraid, I just don't have the time to spare for that... other projects in the
work, I need to be able to order a battery, plug in charger/power, plug in Pi,
move on in life.

Rick

... Ding Dong the Witch is DEAD! I Made America Great Again! President Trump!

Re: Pi USB Batter UPS Setups

Rick,

If the capacity is sufficient, I can confirm that this device charges
and supplies power at the same time:

   http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/power-banks/7757517/

Perhaps the same in the US?

--
Cheers,
David

   Hello David!

27 Jun 17 09:02, you wrote to me:
 DT> If the capacity is sufficient, I can confirm that this device charges
 DT> and supplies power at the same time:

 DT>    http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/power-banks/7757517/

That would be great, if you knew who the OEM was and and there was a source in
the US... Shipping batteries is costly, and now a days an issue since they
can't fly mostly.

And that is the key, finding the ones that power and charge... sort of like
finding those Oriental HDMI splitters that some how forget to eneable the HDCP
on the outputs. :)

Even the Adafruit one which would be perfect, has a glitch:

"Also, when you start and stop charging the pack, it will flicker the output,
this can cause a 'power sensitive' device like the Pi or an iPhone to reset on
the power supply"

Its one of the reasons you can salvaget the AC UPS minus the batteroes frm
Ebay, and the get extorted on getting them locally, on averarge they run
$35/EACH for 12VDC 8AH commonly used in UPS ...unless of course you can
purhcase a bunch in bulk. Then sometimes it can work out..

Rick

... Ding Dong the Witch is DEAD! I Made America Great Again! President Trump!

Re: Pi USB Batter UPS Setups

I have a rather old UPS for keeping my Internet modem and router running
when the power goes down.  When I have a Pi running, I just add it to the
UPS.  The real killer is the monitor though, as it uses more than the 2 or 3
watts the other devices use.  Well, actually, the real killer is my WISP.
If I lose power for 1 minute, they seem to lose power for hours or their
equipment is whacked and has to be replaced again taking hours.  So I have
better up time ratings than they do.

--

Rick C

Re: Pi USB Batter UPS Setups
On 28/06/2017 02:51, Rick Christian wrote:
[]> That would be great, if you knew who the OEM was and and there was a
source in
=========================

Rick,

This one (or similar) on Amazon US claims to be a UPS, and just needs 6
18650 batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/Feamos-Mobile-Battery-Charger-Universal/dp/B01H52KI70/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid14%98721130&sr=8-2&keywords=power+bank+ups#Ask

but also mentions a 1-second gap.  Sigh!

--
Cheers,
David

I assume you mean when disconnecting the input power it takes 1 second to
restore power to the output?  I didn't see anything that mentions that.  I
did see one review that said it can't generate output voltages above 12
volts when being charged, but that wouldn't be a problem for the rPi.

Seems this unit has a buck converter to generate voltages below 12 volts and
a separate boost converter for voltages above 12 volts all selected by a
pair of slide switches.  I am guessing the boost converter is reused for the
charging circuit so the higher voltages are not available when charging.

--

Rick C

Re: Pi USB Batter UPS Setups
[]>> Rick,

 From the Web page cited:

"3. When working as a UPS, connect the original power adapter to the
item, and connect the item to the notebook. Upon power outage, the item
will respond in less than one second"

--
Cheers,
David
[]>> Rick,

The unit has a 5V/2.1A USB outlet, which I would expect you to use for
the RPi.

--
Cheers,
David

Not sure what your point is.  What your wrote has nothing to do with what I
wrote.

--

Rick C

Site Timeline