Pi USB Batter UPS Setups

I can confirm that, and add that the IKEA Solbana power bank does, too. It is a healthy 10000 mAh, but has only one USB output. It is discounted if you are a Family member, so the cheapest option for that capacity.

http://www.avg.com
Reply to
Steve Drain

What's the use of the RED Button (in the IKEA Solbana)?

Bye Jack

Reply to
jack4747

Interesting (non-member) pricing:

US $19.99!

Talks about rip-off! Or is it just after and before tax?

--
Cheers,
David

I assume you mean when disconnecting the input power it takes 1 second to restore power to the output? I didn't see anything that mentions that. I did see one review that said it can't generate output voltages above 12 volts when being charged, but that wouldn't be a problem for the rPi.

Seems this unit has a buck converter to generate voltages below 12 volts and a separate boost converter for voltages above 12 volts all selected by a pair of slide switches. I am guessing the boost converter is reused for the charging circuit so the higher voltages are not available when charging.

--

Rick C
Reply to

[]>> Rick,

From the Web page cited:

"3. When working as a UPS, connect the original power adapter to the item, and connect the item to the notebook. Upon power outage, the item will respond in less than one second"

--
Cheers,
David

[]>> Rick,

The unit has a 5V/2.1A USB outlet, which I would expect you to use for the RPi.

--
Cheers,
David

Thanks for the tip about the Solbana!

It comes with a USB to micro USB cable that makes it trivial to insert between a power adapter and a Pi.

--
-michael - NadaNet 3.1 and AppleCrate II:  http://michaeljmahon.com
Reply to

Not sure what your point is. What your wrote has nothing to do with what I wrote.

--

Rick C
Reply to

I was unsure why you were mentioning the 12V output in connection with the RPi.

--
Cheers,
David

Why didn't you ask?

--

Rick C
Reply to

On 01/07/2017 19:19, rickman wrote: []> Why didn't you ask?

Because 12V doesn't appear on any of the other units under discussion, and hence didn't appear to be a mandatory requirement. Have you bought and tried anything yet?

--
Cheers,
David

We've been discussing *this* unit and the details which are only documented in the comments by other users. What it will do or won't do in addition to powering an rPi is useful to me. I also like to actually understand things I buy, especially when there is no hope of ever getting support.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Hello rickman!

28 Jun 17 19:04, you wrote to me: ri> I have a rather old UPS for keeping my Internet modem and router ri> running when the power goes down. When I have a Pi running, I just ri> add it to the UPS. The real killer is the monitor though, as it uses ri> more than the 2 or 3 watts the other devices use. Well, actually, the ri> real killer is my WISP. If I lose power for 1 minute, they seem to ri> lose power for hours or their equipment is whacked and has to be ri> replaced again taking hours. So I have better up time ratings than ri> they do.

I've got all things critical on AC UPS's.... I've maxed out the UPS's I have, for critical things... EXCEPT the situation with some Pi's..

The critical stuff routers, switches etc.. is all set up for USP till the generator starts.. I need about 5 minutes max on that...

For me taking and getting another AC UPS v. a DC UPS ie: these USB battery things... seems over kill

AC UPS to power 3-4 AC to 5VDC USB adaptors.. the Pi's are all headless...

At this point since it actually may be less headache to the option I considered first... Since finding any of these USB batteries that will charge and ouput

5VDC at the same time is more hit or miss.

Rick

... Ding Dong the Witch is DEAD! I Made America Great Again! President Trump!

Reply to
Rick Christian

Rick Christian wrote on 7/12/2017 8:13 PM:

To me it seems perfect kill once you consider *all* factors. A DC/DC UPS is hard to find and is questionable how well it would work. The AC UPS is a slam dunk giving much more capability allowing other things to be added in the future. The DC UPS will likely cost several sawbucks and the AC UPS is not much more and perhaps the same if bought on sale. Who knows how long the DC UPS will last and the AC UPS will last a decade, at least mine have. In fact, the one I depend on the most has been around for 15 years and still works. I see Microcenter has one for only $37.

Exactly.

--

Rick C
Reply to