Escape sequence for X on Buster

I'm seeing rather frequent lockups on Buster using the traditional graphics driver and chromium. Attempting the "advanced" driver makes the problem much worse. All three are up-to-date. The Pi still answers pings.

Older versions of x11 had an escape sequence to kill the server and get back to a command line without pulling the plug. If that's still so, could somebody please tell me what it is?

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

Are you referring to Alt-Ctrl-Backspace?

HTH

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42@jacob21819.net

Yes. It is also disabled by default.

isn't looking good, either.
I R A Darth Aggie

That's sort of a nuisance, since the Pi is the only thing on the LAN that's routinely powered up. It could be done, however.

_That_ is most interesting. Suggests a local problem, and the only thing special about my setup is use of an old Kingston USB flash drive for swap space. Perhaps it's time to try another device, maybe even a mechanical hard drive for a while.

Control-alt-backspace must be the combination I was thinking of. I thought maybe Raspbian has substituted something else.

Thanks to everyone for a most informative set of replies!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

Can you press CTL-ALT-F1 (or F2 or F3 etc) to get to a login console? If so, you can login and kill the X server. etc?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Jackson

Finally found the ctl-alt-fn hint with a "full" search on raspberrypi.org.

Thanks for the hint!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

It looks like the old Kinston USB flash drive is the culprit, or at least a major contributor. I replaced it with a mechanical hard drive and opened up a page that used to reliably lock up chromium and the Pi in a few minutes, sometimes it took only seconds to become unresponsive:

The funny thing is that only a trifling amount of swap is used, and the disk seems mostly inactive. With six tabs open htop reports 184 MB used.

At some point I'll get brave and try the new "enhanced" GL driver.

Thanks to all!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

On a sunny day (Sat, 21 Mar 2020 19:09:23 +0000 (UTC)) it happened bob prohaska wrote in :

Nice site, indeed flawless in chromium here Also tried the other sats and animation.

Yes that ctrl alt F1 .. FX before I posted that ssh reply I tested ctrl alt F1 on my Pi4 and nothing happened, .. so thought it was blocked too.

But I see now it is because I am running the X server in terminal 1 ;-) ctlr alt F2 works, Not a standard system, changed it to fvwm and xfm, 9 virtual desktops.

Normally ctrl alt F7 should get you back in X (if server is still up).

For weather and weather prediction I use:

After that site and chromium closed I see 1.2 MB swap used, did not check before I started chromium, has been on some time now uptime 21:10:08 up 12 days, 8:13, 16 users, load average: 0.42, 0.53, 0.69 tripped over the Pi USB power cable 12 days ago, had to reboot... is on UPS. swap stays good in control after changing 'swappiness' etc.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Which graphics driver and Pi are you using? On my Pi3 only the legacy graphics driver works; the others lock up even after replacing the old Kingston usb flash swap device with a mechanical hard disk.

Thanks for reading!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

My neighbours laptop was getting very slow and locking up for seconds at a time, sometimes minutes.

Using SMART to investigate his HDD showed huge numbers of 'command failures'.

It now has an SSD in there, and the linux is now the latest too.

Runs nicely again!

--
?Progress is precisely that which rules and regulations did not foresee,?

  ? Ludwig von Mises
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

For an effective war virus the attacking group needs to have a vaccine *before* deployment and preferably to have sneakily vaccinated all their citizens. This is a natural disaster, compounded as usual by idiocy.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Agree entirely.

Another thing too - the US appear to be the worst prepared for COVID of any country, largely because they waited longer than anybody before starting to get their act together. Now add in the way Americans are reacting: beach parties, using corpses for sculpture, stocking up on guns+ammo as well as bogrolls and generally refusing to accept any restriction on movement. All this makes it almost a dead cert that they will have the biggest disaster of the lot. BTW, is Puerto Rico fully recovered from that hurricane yet?

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

No, just all their 'glorious leaders' :-)

You are probably right, but not about the idiocy. In truth no one knows exactly how this will play out under various responses. The useful thing is that we do NOT have a global government, and that different nations will pursue different policies. One or more will prove to be useful and then we will all copy them.

It is the greatest argument against a top down world government yet, being played out on a global scale.

--
  ?A leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,
?We did this ourselves.?

? Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Evidence for this? My friend in Santa Cruz has been locked down by edict: here in East Anglia its all still voluntary.

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people by telling poor people that "other" rich people are the reason

Peter Thompson
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mainly talk on rec.aviation.soaring - normally quite peaceful and sensible talk about flying, but some of the USAians on it are upset about what they see as governmental interference with their constitutional right to do whatever they damn well like wherever they like. A direct quote:

"If you stay home the virus wins. Curfews are the funniest bit, does the virus only hunt at night?"

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

As you know the name of the process you want to kill killall Xorg simplifies, useful if you're struggling with a mostly unresponsive interface.

Reply to
Rob Morley