tick tick tick

Hello

I have a problem that I can't find the problem to and woundering if you guys can give me a heads up on what to look for.

Problem: 20 inch Sharpe Tv, Model # CR20T69 I push the on switch and it ticks and ticks and ticks. Sounds Like the relay in the set.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks a bunch in advance

Janice/in training

Reply to
Janice

What have you done so far in diagnosing the fault ? Tell us more

kip

Reply to
kip

Well I checked the horizontal ouput coil and seems to test well.(no opens) i check the high voltage caps and that seems to be within the tolerance (mfd) Checked Horizontal output trans and that is good as well. I am in the process of checking more capacitors for leakage in the high power section. Also checked the basics (fuse, relay, etc) Did a ring test on the flyback and that is good also. Also checked for opens in the horizontal deflection coil.

------------------------- Regards Janice

Reply to
Janice

Janice wrote in news:8tODe.63519$ snipped-for-privacy@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

Depending on how old the TV is,it probably is bad electrolytic caps,perhaps in the power supply. You need a ESR meter to check them,or just replace them all. The next thing would be a shorted rectifier diode.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

TV is 10 years old, but now I discovered that the ticking noise is comming from the flyback.... I tested all of the caps in the high voltage section and all diodes are good when tested.... I'm thinking maybe a cold solder joint perhaps.... Thanks for the info....much appreciated

Janice/in training

Reply to
Janice

If you suspect a cold solder joint why dont you look for it ???

kip

Reply to
kip

Janice: Are you absolutely certain that the horizontal output transistor is good. Take it out of circuit and test it again. Also check the flyback derived B+ circuitry for shorts or faulty components. If all of that checks out go back and test the power supply carefully for proper regulation and other faulty parts like shorted diodes, open resistors, open traces, bad solder joints, etc.

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

sofie

remove the HOT and power the set up. if it goes into standby, chances are the horizontal deflection has a problem and your power supply is probably Ok. Failing that, a short on one of the voltage lines is possible, eg. fried vertical IC. who knows?

-Ben.

Janice wrote in news:DYPDe.63547$ snipped-for-privacy@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

the "tick-tick" sound could be the power supply starting and re-starting over and over due to bad filter caps(ESR),very common in older sets,or a shorted diode causing an excessive load and triggering the primary current limit,making the PS re-start over and over.

The electrolytics ESR would be the first thing I'd check (after looking for burnt parts) if I didn't have a schematic to check the PS voltages against.

Dick Smith Electronics has a nice ESR meter,VERY useful,as a kit for ~$50USD,perhaps even less. It's also available assembled elsewhere.

I have NO connections to DSE except that I own one ESR meter and love it.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Problem solved.

Bad driver transistor (opened) in horizontal osscilator circuit. Also noticed and resoldered a possible hair crack on the primary of the horizontal transformer.

Thanks for all the help guys much appreciated...............

janice

Reply to
allan98

This is very common, that the HV multiplier, flyback, and horizontal output transistor may have to be changed. Also, there may be some damage in the power supply as well. Also, an ESR test of all the caps in the related areas should be verified. There may be other collateral damage.

These sets can be complex to service. A strong background in TV servicing, and having the proper service information is a great asset when servicing these sets.

--

JANA
_____

"Janice"  wrote in message
Hello

I have a problem that I can't find the problem to and woundering if you
guys can give me a heads up on what to look for.

Problem: 20 inch Sharpe Tv, Model # CR20T69
I push the on switch and it ticks and ticks and ticks.
Sounds Like the relay in the set.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks a bunch in advance

Janice/in training
Reply to
JANA

Ungrounded aquadag. Broken picture tube. Pinhole in HV lead.

clifto

Assuming the description of the problem above is complete, ignore him. It's probably an overload on the power supply - possibly a shorted HOT.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

What is it called? Piggybacking, with incorrect attribution?

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre