STRANGE VIDEO DRUM MOTOR PROBLEM

I have a late 1980s low end vcr (Sanwa - also badged LF6%gik, Orion,
possibly Saisho etc) with an unusual problem. It came to me 'dead' -
with the 1.25A fuse in the power supply open (not black).
I replaced it and the thing seemed to work but soon I noticed that
when you stop the tape, the thing unlaces as usual, but the drum motor
does not switch off - it spins very fast, sounding like it's
'hunting'. The power/stby switch does not react either. If you put it
into play when this hunting whine is going on, you get a distorted pic
which clearly shows the drum's going too fast. So far i've yanked the
plug to avoid further damage. Obviously this i pretty worthless, I'm
just curious to see if anyone else recalls this problem and what
causes it.

-B

Re: STRANGE VIDEO DRUM MOTOR PROBLEM
I'm not familiar with your unit, but I'd guess that this might be caused by
a defective mode switch.  If so, many can be removed, cleaned and
re-assembled.

  Bob

I have a late 1980s low end vcr (Sanwa - also badged Lögik, Orion,
possibly Saisho etc) with an unusual problem. It came to me 'dead' -
with the 1.25A fuse in the power supply open (not black).
I replaced it and the thing seemed to work but soon I noticed that
when you stop the tape, the thing unlaces as usual, but the drum motor
does not switch off - it spins very fast, sounding like it's
'hunting'. The power/stby switch does not react either. If you put it
into play when this hunting whine is going on, you get a distorted pic
which clearly shows the drum's going too fast. So far i've yanked the
plug to avoid further damage. Obviously this i pretty worthless, I'm
just curious to see if anyone else recalls this problem and what
causes it.

-B

Re: STRANGE VIDEO DRUM MOTOR PROBLEM
On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 05:58:07 -0700 (PDT), b

Bad mode switch might explain the oddities except for the blown fuse.
I've replaced a butt load of mode switches once working for a
Goldstar/Tatung/Matsushita/Sanyo factory authorized warranty center
but don't recall a bad mode switch taking out a fuse.

Re: STRANGE VIDEO DRUM MOTOR PROBLEM

It's also possible the two things are unrelated - sometimes fuses just
go weak with age and a very small current hike can finish them off.
the drum thing is more unusual though.
 -B

Re: STRANGE VIDEO DRUM MOTOR PROBLEM

Dirty rail from a bad ESR cap, maybe ? Might be worth just running an ESR
meter over all the ones in the PSU.

Arfa

Re: STRANGE VIDEO DRUM MOTOR PROBLEM

last night I had another look at this. I cleaned the mode switch and
no joy. it worked a short while, then once again again after pressing
stop, the drum kept spinning wildly and couldn't be stopped. Strange
thing was you could put it in and out of play (with a tearing fast
pic)..After about a minute the drum stopped - and since then ain't
come on again....looks like another for the scrapheap...

-B

Site Timeline